1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will USA hoops bring back gold?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silentbob, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One, I don't think Yao will be ready to play. He wants to badly of course, but I'm doubtful.

Two, Germany won't make a ripple, even if they qualify. Dirk is the only threat the DBB have in any phase of the game. Unless you count Chris Kaman. :p

USA over the Argies for gold. Almost all of the good young players finally got shamed into coming out for the Olympics this time. Anything less than gold will be fail of the highest order of magnitude.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

You mean there are Olympic sports besides gymnastics and beach volleyball? [/NBCexecutive]

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, since Duncan and Amare Stoudemire opted not to play, someone like Tyson Chandler or Marcus Camby would have made the U.S. deeper up front.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You forgot the third Olympic sport.

Sappy-feature-tear-jerking.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I agree. And also because this roster appears overloaded at guards and one big man short. If, god forbid, Howard or Bosh get injured then they're really gonna have a hole in the middle. Doesn't make much sense to have only a couple guys who can play the 5 while keeping Kidd, Wade, Paul, Williams, Kobe AND Redd. There's not gonna be nearly enough backcourt time available to keep all those guards happy. They'd have been better off dropping one of those guys and adding some size.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Kidd. I suppose he does bring veteran leadership, but he should be third on the depth chart at PG. How many good post players are there in the international game, though? I haven't actually looked at the rosters, but Gasol and Yao immediately come to mind. If memory serves, international losses have come from being beaten by better shooting, perimeter teams, not by being bludgeoned down low.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If it came down to dumping either Kidd or Wade, I'd keep Kidd, partly because as good as Paul and Williams are, I'm not quite ready to hand the keys completely to two PGs that young. Also, when you have Kobe, Redd and LeBron, I don't think you need Wade and his banged-up body. I'd replace Wade with another big man, not so much because I'm worried about low-post defense, but because I want to make sure the U.S. can control the boards and get out and run. If Howard, Bosh or Boozer gets into foul trouble -- and this being international ball, you know they will -- it's going to make it harder for the U.S. to push the ball, which they absolutely must do.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, that's almost always the problem in US international losses.

They'll be fine in low-post scoring, with the three post players, plus LeBron and Wade do a lot of their scoring from inside as well. As long as they have guys with speed and wingspan who can defend the 3 and force turnovers and misses, offense will take care of itself.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

This has probably been said before, but I think America's best chance is to send the Celtics to China. I know it's not realistic, but Boston would fair quite well in the Olympics if it played the kind of defense it did in the finals. And then there are no team chemistry issues, and you don't have to deal with a bunch of All-Stars commanding the ball.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You're right, I think, but can you imagine making that post two years ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted