1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this happen at a newspaper down the line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are people being walked out of newsrooms after 20, 30, 40 years at one paper.

I don't have much sympathy for a ditzy bitch going berzerk after a two-month internship.

Watch "Clerks."

There are other jobs out there; you're bound to be qualified for one of them.

I'm sure being a (let me guess) minority female won't exactly be a huge impediment. Pulling shit like this, however, will.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, if she ever wanted to get into newspapers, she just blew her shot at working for the Plain-Dealer.

3. bob

bob Member

looks like a nice, sweet girl

4. Notepad

Notepad Member

Wonder what Imus would think of her.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

See, this is why you can't make it at the Plain-Dealer. Gotta have guns in Cleveland, son.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Spunky gal!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sigh....

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not too appropriate.

9. Notepad

Notepad Member

Oh, yes, but it was entirely appropriate to smash in a window, have to be held back by several men and then say, "You don't know where I'm from. I'll mess you up, b ——-."

Yeah, sorry, she deserves to be treated like a lady. Should I refer to her as Ms. next time?

Give me a break.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry my bad. Two wrongs make a right. Didn't get the memo.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm amazed no newspaper has been shot up yet. I'll bet there are employees in Tampa who are relieved nothing happened there.

I know of two suicides that happened shortly after people were let go. One was mentioned here, but it was kind of glazed over. It's probably not fair to say it's the only factor, but if someone was unstable, I could see their career ending pushing them over the top.

Yeah, this girl should probably get a grip...

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good point, Missourigrad, but I'd like to think anybody who shoots up a place is terribly unstable to begin with, not simply angry at the stuff that goes on at newspapers. It takes a real kook to think about shooting up the workplace. It would take a real wacko to do that in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted