1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Paterno statue come down?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Do you think the Paterno statue is going to come down?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Still not sure

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's fine. There also were people who wore "Free Manson" shirts.

I roll my eyes. Just not worth having a problem with it.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, I do not believe for a second that its "90, 95, 99 percent." Neither of us are in the area or part of the fan base, so we're not in position to really know, but my instincts tell me you're grossly exaggerating the percentage of their fans that fall into that buffoon category. Again, a common overgeneralization tactic used to try to demonize an entire group of people.

I've only personally spoken to one Penn St. guy since this news broke, and he was heartbroken and very clearly not still on the Paterno bandwagon. I rather doubt he's the 1 percent exception.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The entire group of people who are going to attend games and cheer as if nothing happened deserves to be demonized.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. My prediction is they will eventually end up removing it. The thing's just gonna become too much of a pain in the ass and source of firestorm to keep it. But guess they'll have to learn that the hard way.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Attending a football game does not mean acting "as if nothing happened", they're not cheering for Paterno, Curley, or Spanier, but rather players and new coaches that had not a damn thing to do with any of this. And, no, the 100,000 plus people that attend PSU games do not all deserve to be demonized. That's an absurd overgeneralization.

I swear, YG, your simplistic ranting logic on these threads is so far different (and beneath) your usual stuff on other threads, hard to believe it's the same person.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is total bullshit. This is still their school and the team they love. Why would they not show up and cheer? None of the players and coaches who will be there had a damn thing to do with this. Myabe they should just send in a stealth bomber and blow the school off the map. Maybe that would make some people feel better.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And I can't see any way they leave the statue up long term. They have to scrub all memories of this mess and the honoring of Paterno from that campus. Hey, they scrubbed the halo off his mural, so that's a start.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe Penn State will place an armed guard to protect the statue. It would be consistent with its philosophies.

9. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

Nothing will satisfy the irrationally angry.

Even the Freeh report basically broke the whole problem down to the actions of four guys, but the whole university is to blame. We should round up Penn State grads, throw them into concentration camps and burn the campus top the ground. That way the victims will be all better and nobody will ever be molested again.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That said, my respect to the people who show up with chains and F350s to take care of this themselves.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like to branch out.

And if you don't think many of the people who will fill the stadium this season won't be cheering with a giant "Fuck you" in mind to all those outsiders who just don't understand their wonderful culture, you're kidding yourself.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My answer to that would be, "so what?"

Those people are beyond help.

Draft saved Draft deleted