1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Reggie Bush sign with Saints?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RAMBO, Jul 25, 2006.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Will Reggie Bush sign with New Orleans?
    It's still unclear at this stage. The likely resolution is that Paul Tagliabue will step in and do what he always does when there is a problem in New Orleans: give as much help as he can to one of the New York teams. So expect Tagliabue to award Bush to the Giants or Jets if the two sides don't come to an agreement in the next few days.

I hope that Bush signs with the saints cause that team needs a player like bush to bring some excitement to the team, but if it doesn't he can't come to an agreement I hope that Tagliabue steps in and puts him on Giants

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Re: Will Reggie Bush sign with Saints!!!

Interesting.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Re: Will Reggie Bush sign with Saints!!!

I would laugh at your proposed resolution, but the Saints will never forget their "home game" at Giants Stadium.

GO SAINTS!

[/fanboy]

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I really can't tell if you're serious or not, so this gives me a chance to post-pad. I'm pretty sure he'd go back into the draft.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he either lifted that from a mock Louisiana column or made it up. I don't think he's too serious about it. At least I hope he's not.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The question and answer at the top of the first post are lifted from a Page 2 column at espn.com. A column I, oddly enough, just read a little bit ago.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

What would Kobe do?

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Reggie Bush May Become New Orleans' Next Evacuee
    No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a contract holdout with the New Orleans Saints, but he is also toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season, a league source said.

And if Bush doesn't get his price, he just might put his name back in the draft in 2007.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

It seems unlikely the Saints will do that in time for Bush to report to training camp with the team on Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent.

On Wednesday, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters.

One of the sources took that a step further, saying Segal was considering not having Bush sign at all. Segal declined to comment when contacted Friday and messages left with multiple members of the New Orleans organization weren't returned.

While it appears unlikely on face value that Bush would sit out, he appears well-positioned to do so if he really wants.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

Next, Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.

Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans.

Bush has also worked hard to endear himself to fans in the city after it came out that he didn't want to play in New Orleans. Bush has made multiple donations to hurricane relief.

Jason Cole is an NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

if reggie bush doesn't sign with the saints by the end of training camp, i will never post on this site again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

maybe some folks will root for this to happen now, but c'mon, people. this is all negotiating bullshit. only quarterbacks somtimes wield the power, like elway and eli manning. reggie bush will play for the saints. case closed.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, he probably bought the house with his salary from USC. And don't be so sure he signs with the Saints. He'll have to get a raise from his college days! :D

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

he won't miss a game or two. it'll cost him money for every game he misses. don't be naive. 8) 8) 8)

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did his parents buy one there too?

Draft saved Draft deleted