1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will NBA.com go the route of MLB.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Looks like the Maloof Brothers are looking for a journalist to write news and features for their website
    http://journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=667431

I've been wondering if we'd start seeing MLB.com-type reporting hitting other leagues.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Mgoblue might not care but a lot of sports writers will care. this provides a couple of nice jobs in every city -- if it switches to an mlb.com format. i know some newspaper writers still mock the mlb.com staffers but that's another thread.

i've wondered why the other sites don't go to mlb.com's format. i can only assume it's because they don't think it would work. and by work, i mean make a shitload of money. why? i have no idea. but i know as a former sports writer not interested in reading a bunch of press releases and fluff, i only check out nba.com when i want to see a schedule, score or look up somehting in particular. otoh during baseball season i check out mlb.com several times a week. i guess mlb.com and nba.com serve different purposes.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I agree. It's a lucrative market for the MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL to tap into. I fully understand where the criticisms will come from, but if offered a job like this with the local NBA team, I can imagine a lot of the prep writers and others on the daily staffs giving it a good, long, hard look.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Don't a lot of teams already do this? I know the Pacers have Conrad (Formerly Steve) Brunner, who had been a beat writer for a number of years.

5. I'd love to see teams hire people, but I hope they hire good ones.

I'm not a big team-site-peruser, but my home team's (otherwise) excellent page features some very poor writing. I don't expect the content to be provocative or even particularly interesting, but there's no reason the writing shouldn't be adequate.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not just prep writers. See Sullivan, T.R.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the other things is that you have to hope the site agrees to institute journalistic standards (or quasi-journalistic standards). if the pacers go out and hire johnny preps writer there's nothing to stop them from making him into being another membe of the team's PR staff. although some people question mlb.com writer's objectivity -- it's not like they break bad news or do any investigative stuff -- most people know the mlb.com writers are relatively objective.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

My understanding is that no other sports league understands or controls the programs/technology that make mlb.com the cash cow that it is (the way they can get their streaming video and audio to work on people's PCs and broadband connections). However, given the cash at stake, I have to imagine other sports leagues would love to do what mlb.com has done.

9. For sure. The writers on my home NBA team's site are far closer to PR staff members than journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted