1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Will #MeToo dating rules bring on an 'end of men?'"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 17, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

All good, I didn't take it that way. Like I said, I understand there is a grey zone here. But my gut sense is that the grey zone is very small, and in the vast majority of cases, most of us could agree on what and what isn't appropriate behaviour. This is not an area given to perfect, uniform understanding.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don’t know. Mind you, I’m not saying I think it’s a good idea.

That being said, have you seen the scope of things a Fitbit can monitor? Can’t be too long before it’s capable of monitoring BAC.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think your gut is in error there. The zone is grey, true, but the one being posited is not narrow.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think we are in error when we think of the only "consequences" stemming from a #MeToo misstep being an arrest, conviction, expulsion, or anything else formal.

Becoming a social pariah with a bad reputation among your peers are not nothing.

5. MisterCreosote

College coffee shops better delete Jimmy Buffett from their Spotify lists now.

Big Circus likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm not being haughty here, I just have no experience with drinking a bunch making me want to or be capable of sexually assaulting a woman. Like, I went to a party school. I drank wholesale amounts of alcohol. I've never had the urge to violate other people. No matter how many drinks, I've never had my moral compass leave me completely at that level. I understand other people react differently to drugs and alcohol, but it's so foreign to me.

I became a nice person when I drank that much, instead of the asshole I am sober.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Dick Whitman

They don’t think that’s what they’re doing.

8. MisterCreosote

I got drunk every single night for, like, 15 years straight and I can only think of one encounter that was even close to gray-area, even by today’s standards.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As long as you don’t date moron, nothing has changed.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

I don’t think I’ve done anything. I have little doubt I said things.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If, on a moderately booze-heavy night, you “got lucky” ... by emerging standards there’s a good chance you’re guilty of having committed sexual assault.

Draft saved Draft deleted