1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Leitch does anti-ESPN book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Brasky, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

This may be a D_B, and it contains old stories, but the New York Post mentioned it the other day.

WILL Leitch was banned from ESPN in October 2006 after he reported various scandals involving the network's anchors on his Deadspin sports Web site - prompting the cable channel to circulate a memo banning any mention of the site on its shows.
    Now Leitch has compiled all those anchors' peccadilloes in a book, "God Save the Fan," in which he strikes back at ESPN with tales of bizarre off-air behavior by Chris Berman, Scott Van Pelt and Sean Salisbury, among others.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012008/gossip/pagesix/sleazy_antics_of_espn_stars_983946.htm

The Berman story is "You're with me, Leather", the Salisbury item deals with his camera phone pix and Van Pelt gets ripped for his sad phone message.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

BLOGS!!!!!

3. Once I'm done with Tolstoy, this book is next.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mike Freeman already wrote this book.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Leitch claims that's a mischaracterization of the book. Sure, the ESPN stuff is mentioned but it's not the main focus.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does the book have cameraphone pictures of Salisbury's dingus?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just when I thought this was the best post ever...

poindexter makes it a horse race.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Someone want to explain to me what Scott Van Pelt did to deserve being publicly humiliated.
    He's a terrific guy, very good at his job.
    And he left a voicemail to some woman (a message that was, in fact, as clever and literate as we'd expect him to be). Why is that anyone's business?

9. Because in the past year, Deadspin decided that being entertaining and well-written wasn't nearly as fun as unsubstantiated gossip-mongering and ESPN bashing. I know a lot of that goes on here, but Deadspin seems dead-set on painting itself as the Rebel Alliance to the WWL's Evil Empire. (And, on that note, Will Leitch ain't no Luke Skywalker...)

It won't be long before a site like this or TBL gets hit with a libel suit.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't know what you did to deserve it; take it up with Leitch. I prefer Donovan Leitch Sr., myself.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry, but SVP posts on message boards under his own name.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wear your love like heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted