1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Joe Torre get roasted like Spree?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, my goodness.
    You have got to be kidding me.
    How thinly do you want to slice this? The Yankees were not "incentivizing his will to win." They were determining they did not want to pay top dollar for what they considered to be underperformance. If I were Torre, I'd have turned this offer down -- because it was designed to be turned down. I just would have done it with some class.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Twoback, perhaps you should start by realizing you were wrong from the start. Torre did not say the amount of money was insulting. He said he found the incentives insulting. He managed to do something very difficult yesterday. He was open about his feelings and classy at the same time.

Are people more willing to see him in a positive way than Spreewell? Of course they are. He has earned it by behaving like a decent person in public and treating the people around him with respect. Just like Sprewell has earned his bad reputation over the years, most notably by choking his coach.

What Torre said and did and what Sprewell said and did were completely different scenarios. You also seem to forget in all of this that Torre is 67 years old. He's got more money than he will ever need.

Sprewell was at a different stage in his life when he made those comments. And isn't he having financial troubles these days? Wouldn't that offer he was so upset about come in handy about now?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Of course, I wonder what the perception of Torre would be if he did choke Big Stein. Perhaps a mixed reaction?

You never know. Maybe Torre wanted the fancy mustard. ...

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I believe Torre used the word "insulting" only in reference to the incentives. If I'm wrong on that Twoback, feel free to correct me.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

You are correct, jg, and that point has been made five or six times on this thread.
    It has yet to penetrate twoback's thick skull, however.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here's a question, spnited: why are we all inside typing on such a beautiful day?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, I've been in and out, and I'm heading to work in an hour.

What's your excuse?

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We just got back from a long walk along the river, and now I'm procrastinating. I'm trying to work on the book today, but frankly I find my publisher's incentives insulting.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

After all these years, I would think your publisher feeling you need incentives as motivation would be insulting.

But don't let twoback know!

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They made an offer they assumed I would refuse.

And yet, I did not.

Joke's on them!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Meanwhile, river walks on a day like this are great...
    It's what I miss most now that I'm no longer two blocks from the West bank of the Hudson

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We're Eastsiders. Worked our way down from the UN to the Statue and back. They're rebuilding East River Park down here - along the same lines as the redo on the Hudson side. Can't wait for them to finish.

Draft saved Draft deleted