1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell's Stranger Than Fiction won't change the world...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 27, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw this last night.
    Stranger than Fiction is Will Ferrell's Punch-Drunk Love, which only makes sense if you saw Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love.
    I also thought it was very good, different but good.
    Couple of notes, the haters over at The Onion gave it a "B" which is pretty damn good for them.
    The other is that a friend of mine has this theory you don't need to see movies like this on the big screen. It doesn't add anything. but for movies heavy on special effects, you do need the big screen, Makes some sense if you think about it. So if you don't want to drop $7 or $8 now, you could wait for the DVD and it won't hurt anything.
    Now a really good cookie, that's something that can change the world.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

I saw this movie with my girlfriend a couple nights ago. Went straight to the store after the movie and made cookies..mmm

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I was fairly underwhelmed.

Ferrell was horribly miscast in this one.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. For my money, Ferrell was excellent. Maggie was absolutely captivating. I don't usually see many flicks in theatres as I usually wait till they're on one of my DirecTV movie channels, but STF was definitely worth the trip.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought Ferrell did a good job. In fact, I can't remember seeing any movie of his where I thought he was anything less than solid.

I don't think I'd draw the comparison with Sandler and "Punch-Drunk Love," though. This one had considerably more of a mainstream feel to it. "Punch-Drunk Love" felt like an indie, beginning to end.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Did you just use "Adam Sandler" and "charm" in the same post without the words "has no" in between?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight. Plot was a bit outlandish, but Will Farrell was excellent in selling the role. Maggie was on the screen far too little. Not quite as hot as in Secretary, but still a parlay for provocation. Queen Latifah would have had more of an impact delivering breakfast to the set, with as little as she was given to do.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I saw it earlier today and absolutely loved it. I thought it was great, though Roger Ebert isn't ever going to be worried about me taking his job. But I would easily go see it again.

On your way back from your weekly flag burning?

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Well, "Elf" was good and I found "Talladega Nights" darn funny, and he was a major part of the reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted