1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Ferrell's Stranger Than Fiction won't change the world...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 27, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...Saw it last night; it was good, but not as good as the buzz around Hollywood makes it out to be.

Don't want to give much away -- but, frankly, whoever cut the trailer deserves a better job because the movie as portrayed in the trailer is a better one than the movie that made it to the screen.

But there's a hell of a random casting: The two guys from the Sonic ads play buddy coworkers of Will's. Weird.

All in all, though, I reccomend sending it.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I like Will Ferrell a lot, and it's got Dustin Hoffman and Maggie Gyllenhaal...plus, the guy from Spoon did the soundtrack.

EDIT: I wasted my 2,000th post on this?

3. Mmmmm. Maggie.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fenian did not waste his 11,451st post on that.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being just a bit elitist here, but I don't really find Will Ferrell all that great. It seems to me that almost all of his signature characters SNL and more of his signature movie roles were characters that are either over the top or quite annoying.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ferrell was good in 'Winter Passing' as a weird side character.
    He was funny in 'Wedding Crashers' as a side character.
    He was good in 'Old School' as a side character.
    The only movie I've ever seen in which was the principal was 'Anchorman,' which I didn't see until about five months ago. I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting.
    I have never had any desire to see 'Elf,' 'Talladega Nights,' 'Bewitched' or 'Kicking and Screaming.'
    I've seen the trailers for 'Stranger than Fiction,' and I'll probably wait for the DVD release.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

maybe i'm not nearly as critical as others, but i even liked "kicking and screaming." farrell's got a good-guy, adam sandler-like charm. ;D ;D ;D

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Elf is actually a pretty good movie, but it can get sort of embarrassing at times.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought he was pretty damn funny in Elf.

Kicking and Screaming was very "eh." Ricky Bobby was overrated. Generally though I like his work.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Saw this movie today. I really enjoyed it. It was a different task for Ferrell, and he did well in the role.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Very well put.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody called this movie Ferrell's "Truman Show."

Draft saved Draft deleted