1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This might be the first cancellation of a winter sports season. Sports include men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's indoor track and men's hockey.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

3. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I just saw the Norfolk Admirals of the ECHL are opting out of playing this winter. One of the reasons is crowds would be limited to 1,000. The story said Norfolk and Atlanta have both decided not to play.

Liut likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mountain West has a cancellation before the season starts.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think a lot comes down to what I call the "Wrong-Sounding Muppets" phenomenon. It is just patently odd to watch a Stanley Cup Finals game in late September. And if I recall, everyone expects ratings to dip some around general elections particularly when everyone is fearing for their health/jobs/lives, etc.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hard to play a game when a county has those standards. UNM may not be playing at all this fall.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot to this. Many sports were/are out of their natural cycles, the ones we are accustomed to. It's like after a lifetime of working 9 to 5, you switch to the late shift. Disrupts your mind.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My niece, 19, a student at Central Michigan, tested positive yesterday.
    Her mom says she feels generally ok, other than "a little tired."
    Two of her three suite mates are positive too : the administration is putting the whole dorm under a hard lock. Nobody leaves their floor for 10 days. Food delivered outside the door by people in full suits.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Presumably, this order does not apply to football players unless the Big Ten can find a way for them to play Minnesota from dorm rooms and apartments in Ann Arbor, several hundred miles from Minneapolis.
    This is a terrible look.

maumann likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

They could have said they don't like Fort Collins.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fort Collins also buried in massive smoke from the huge wildfires to the west.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

All the best to everyone there. My sister is out of quarantine and none of her kids tested positive. She said it was a week of feeling like being run over by a truck, and she didn't have any of the respiratory issues.

2muchcoffeeman and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted