1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This one has to hurt. The commissioner of the SEC delivers yet another reason why college footbawwwl can’t be guaranteed. The libruhl media must have gotten to him.

Seriously, people. How many reasons do you need?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to think that in many SEC states, the state U is also associated with/runs the biggest hospital operation. True here in Mass. west of Boston, where UMass Medical Center is the biggest hospital. It's CEO, a doctor, is also the highest paid state employee, not the football coach.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Tapintoamerica sure does not like football!

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

On the contrary. There's nothing better for a sports fan than a college football Saturday.
    The problem comes when worship of football gets in the way of the common good. The problem is in people who value their alleged right to watch football over everything else.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The fake crowd noise in the FS1 MLS broadcast sucks.

6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Seems like public land-grant universities in the south are hit and miss.

In the case of Florida, Shands in Gainesville (which is right next to the VA Hospital) is probably the biggest teaching hospital in the state, although Miami's Med School is pretty well-known, too. Georgia's a little trickier, because while UGA puts out a lot of doctors and dentists, Emory in Atlanta is the more acclaimed college. South Carolina has its own School of Medicine in Charleston (my sister's alma mater). Vanderbilt is pretty damn good at baseball and medicine (where my niece is working on her PhD). My wife's father got his M.D. at LSU, but I think his course work was in New Orleans, not Baton Rouge.

EDIT: Shout out to Neutral Corner's UAB. They reign supreme in Bamalama.

Auburn, Arkanpig and Missississippi State are more Moo U's. Nobody has any clue what Tuscaloosa's good at.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sororities.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

MLS crowds haven't figured out to consistently cheer/chant/etc. like Premier League fans do. There's a lot of dead air in an MLS game. Not so much in Europe. Ergo, it sounds completely unrealistic on an MLS broadcast.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll disagree. The crowds in Portland, LAFC and Seattle among others, are super loud all game. Don't @ me, I know I am diving into treacherous waters actually defending the MLS.

That said, fake noise still sucks.

And the sound levels were terrible. Couldn't hear the announcers over the fake noise.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, you're correct, especially in those cities and Atlanta. I shouldn't post before coffee sometimes.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That will never ever happen and it's part of the sex appeal of the Premier League. Went thru a phase about 20 years ago where after midnight deadline I'd unwind by smoking a fatty and watch a Premier League game with the volume turned high.

Draft saved Draft deleted