1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Bob Sheppard open the new Yankee Stadium?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Probably not, according to Newsday:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/03/bob_sheppard_probably_wont_be.html?mid=daily-intel--20090327

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I hope I look this good when I'm NINETY-freaking-EIGHT.

Holy cow, to mix baseball voice metaphors.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man that sucks.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No Bob Sheppard at the first regular season game = jinx of considerable karmic power.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're jinxed enough.

Just wait until CC pulls a hammy jogging to the buffet line.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25706746

How about this Darren Rovell story about the possibility that they could have Sheppard do voice recordings for about 10 hours and be able to have a "computerized Sheppard" announce names at Yankee Stadium forever. I can't decide if that's awesome or really creepy.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would hope, if nothing else, that Sheppard can at least come to the Stadium for the opener and be driven around the field in a car so the fans can give him one huge cheer.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'll never forget the time a few years ago when I was in the press box working a couple hours before game time and felt a tap on my shoulder.

The unmistakable voice: "Excuse me, but can you tell me how to pronounce this name?"

So because of me, Bob Sheppard knows how to pronounce Yuniesky Betancourt. :)

It's going to be tough to try to carry the Yankee Stadium mystique across the street if that voice isn't part of it.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

great anecdote, ab.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's creepy. Let it go. When he can't do it any more, it's time for someone else to get a chance and start a new tradition. If they want to play a generic recorded "Welcome to Yankee Stadium" or "Here are today's lineups," that's probably OK as a tribute. To think someone will be splicing syllables together to make virtual Bob is too weird and totally unnecessary.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man. I so wanted this to be about Shigetoshi Hasegawa...Sheppard's all-time favorite name.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great story, AB.

And I agree with Smasher -- that would be just as creepy as when they had the animated (and bobblehead, IIRC?) Mel Allen still doing the intro on TWIB after he died.

Draft saved Draft deleted