1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Barack Obama replace Joe Biden as VP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 9, 2011.

?

The polls may say that a change to the ticket has to be made. If Obama does replace Amtrak Joe - who

1. No change will be made - Obama / Biden is winning the future

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Obama adds Hillary to add gravitas and prevent her running against him

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Jon Huntsman

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Other (curious who you think would be best on the ticket)

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Mini-Ditka (because regaular sized Ditka would have to be on the top of the ticket)

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think Kennedy wins in '60 without LBJ.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe the VP choice can't rescue a ticket, but it sure can sink one. McGovern came out of the 1972 convention with a nice little bounce and was on the horizon for a lot of voters. That brief window of opportunity closed quickly when Eagleton's mental health issues surfaced.

And as hard as it is to believe in this day and age, George Wallace almost sent the '68 election to the House and likely would have done so, some argue, had his VP choice not come across as so frighteningly whimsical about atomic weapons.

And I agree with Cranberry, Kennedy doesn't get enough Southern electoral votes if he doesn't have LBJ as his VP.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who am I? Why am I here?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I knew all that of course; I knew it in second or third grade.

The VPOTUS role as President of the Senate has been reduced to less than ceremonial, and is rarely used.

In actual reality, his main responsibility is to not die if the President does.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

"My country has in its wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived." - John Adams on the vice presidency

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The problem Romney might have in picking a veep candidate is that any Republican with Tea Party-ish aspirations doesn't want to be seen near him.

Helllllllooooo, veep candidate T-Paw!

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Not soley.

I know I went from being somewhat comfortable with John McCain becoming president in 2008 to completely uncomfortable after his choice in running mate. He was too old to take the chance he wouldn't have died and left "You Betcha" to run the world's most powerful nation.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I don't think Kennedy wins in '60 without LBJ.
    [/quote]

That is a good point. And yes, a VP choice can hurt a ticket as recent history has shown. But by and large it is not a significant position or vote-getter.

9. Picking LBJ as VP cost JFK his life.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That, too, of course.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That is a good point. And yes, a VP choice can hurt a ticket as recent history has shown. But by and large it is not a significant position or vote-getter.

[/quote]

Daddy pulling strings to win Chicago didn't hurt either.

12. Hillary Clinton Over Biden for VP? Possible: Jonathan Alter

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-14/hillary-clinton-over-joe-biden-in-2012-possible-jonathan-alter.html

It is starting to gain Joe-mentum

Draft saved Draft deleted