1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will an NFL lockout affect your job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just looking ahead....if the league shuts down, how will it affect you professionally?

(Because, you know, no one cares about your fantasy team. 8) )

2. Do I think newspaper management will use the lockout as a reason to pare more staff?

Of course not.

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Covering the NFL is a 12 month job, with the Super Bowl going into February, the combine, the draft, free agents, mini camp, training camp, exhibition and games from Sept. to January.
    Not sure if it was this way 10 years ago, but now it never stops.
    Other beats have a month where it's pretty dead. Not so with NFL.
    For a lot of people they will now be able to take vacation that they have been putting off.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I have a hunch that a few sports editors at smaller circulation newspapers will be taking their NFL guys and having them answer the phones and cover prep gamers.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This could be the most productive fall of my adult life.

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

It will cripple me financially this fall, and if there's also an NBA lockout, I'll be in a different line of work by Halloween.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Zip. One-man show at a tiny hyperlocal daily with no Monday edition. I only run NFL when it relates to the Chiefs and then I use AP.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It will make NASCAR happy, which will mean they will jump our shit less. So I'm pulling for a lockout.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A week ago I would have said we'll definitely have an abbreviated season. Now, I think they're making progress thanks to that court's ruling.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would have to cover more godawful college football games.

11. I'll have to cover a lockout instead of an NFL season. But editors will definitely find ways to keep reporters busy.

12. I know editors can find ways to keep reporters busy. But will MEs, executive editors and publishers see it the same way? We went down this road several years ago with the NHL lockout, and guess what? We lost a hockey writer position.

Draft saved Draft deleted