1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon v. Feinstein - What the Hell?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I need to get out more, I missed whatever prompted this interesting answer on Mike Wilbon's chat. I happen to know and like both guys, so I'm a little surprise though maybe I shouldn't be?

WaPo Newsroom: So, Kornheiser gets suspended for criticizing a collegue at ESPN on his radio show, does Junior get the same treatment at the Post for calling you out regarding the Tiger situation ... -paraphrasing ... "If Mike still wanted to be a Professional Journalist..]?

Michael Wilbon: I don't need Junior to get suspended. Junior caught an earful of language and heat that was both deserved and will stay private. I'll match my credentials as a journalist with John Feinstein anytime. Junior has often mistaken his opinion with fact and with legitimacy. Thing is, my father didn't raise me to be subservient to Junior, or anybody else. My opinions about Tiger Woods or any other issue are mine and I could give a damn about what Feinstein or anybody else things about them. The only thing special about Feinstein's opinions is that they're his. And I let him know that in very specific language that best belongs on HBO.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wilbon comes off as a dick who can't back up his talk in his little Junior response there.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, Feinstein made that "If Mike still wanted to be a professional journalist" crack about Wilbon on Kornheiser's radio show, while ripping Wilbon for supporting Tiger. Kornheiser seemed a little shocked at that one.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Can't wait for ESPN DC to go live.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Man, these WaPo chats can be tense. Wilbon and Mike Leahy got into a similar spat a while back over Jordan.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And over a similar charge.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It and Philly appear to be the next ones up after New York launches.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nice piece by Feinstein.

I liked Wilbon, back in the day, but he has become too much of an apologist for famous athletes, particularly Eldrick.

Fuck 'em.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Feinstein's stuff ripping the Mike & Mike 10th anniversary was dead-on.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I agree with Feinstein but his declaration that he is a "wise-guy New Yorkers" is comical.

John doesn't strike me as street, comical or sarcastic.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Journos who suddenly start pulling their punches on some athletes misdeeds while ripping others who do the same thing make my skin crawl.
    Feinstein is no stranger to the phenomenon. No doubt he knows that Tiger is not a lone wolf on the PGA Tour.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Feinstein, but nobody burns bridges faster.

No major columnist works harder than Wilbon, but he has become a total jock-sniffer over the last several years.

Draft saved Draft deleted