1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilbon at Wrigley: Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lyman_Bostock, Aug 11, 2008.

1. So Wilbon throws out the first pitch Sunday night at the Cardinals-Cubs game, sings "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" ... the whole Wrigley ball of wax. Should he have done it? Does it compromise his objectivity? Or is he more of an ESPN personality and not a as much a "legitimate journalist" anymore?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not an ideal situation, but...

1. He doesn't cover the Cubs.
    2. His love of all things Chicago is known.
    3. He's a local guy.

I'd be lying if I said it's a perfect situation, but I don't see a conflict of interest.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And, as Wilbon said while he was being interviewed on the Cubs radio network, he hardly ever covers baseball.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Glad someone brought this up. I had the same reaction as Lyman.

What it does is create a future conflict of interest. It's not unthinkable that a big story arises at some point, and now Wilbon has a perceived objectivity problem so he can't (or shouldn't) touch it. Maybe he has the objectivity problem already, given his public adoration for the Cubs.

I understand why he did it. I can also see why he shouldn't have.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, I am more comfortable with a guy doing this than keeping a pent up hatred towards a team, coach or a particular fan base.

I know there is no cheering in the press box, but shouldn't there be no hatred as well? Neutral is neutral.

You know, all that Ying/Yang (love/hate) type of stuff.

6. Mizzougrad96

This is the same guy who wears a Cubs jersey on PTI.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Dude wears a cubs jersey on PTI all the time. This isn't new. I think his love of MJ during his Wizard days was more of a conflict than this. Plus he's a columnist. If he ever writes about the cubs in a column, it'll be from a fan's perspective.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

This has been discussed for the last day on the baseball thread.

9. Mizzougrad96

Now it can be discussed here, by the non seamheads... :D

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How little does Wilbon even follow baseball? He seemed to think that it was news that La Russa was batting his pitcher eighth.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wibon's a journalist? Who knew?

12. Mizzougrad96

That's a pretty ignorant statement about one of the best columnists in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted