1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wikipedia blackout on January 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Honey and powdered sugar, please.

[​IMG]

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or click the stop button in your browser before the blacked-out page loads. Good job teaching the proles a lesson, Wikipedia. How about teaching the inner and outer party a lesson next time?

3. chester

chester Member

You can use the site on your smart phone as well.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, that bullshit rationalization fails to pass the smell test as much as when Stain tried to preach that.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll take the day to correct all the mistakes.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you've ever made a mix tape and given it to someone, you're a thief. If you watch YouTube clips of network shows, you're a thief. If you've ripped and burned a CD, the music industry considers you a thief.

Shall I go on as to what the media industry thinks is theft?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unlicensed use of copyrighted material isn't theft?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has anyone been criminally charged for uploading copyrighted material to file sharing networks? I don't recall any criminal charges being filed against defendants in various RIAA file-sharing lawsuits.

All of those kids making mix tapes were criminals, too, right? Being found liable for damages in civil court doesn't make one a criminal.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This answers a question I didn't ask.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm staying out of this one.

Regardless of how I feel about the morality of the issue, enforcement is becoming sophisticated enough that I stopped infringing copyrights awhile ago. I don't need a lawsuit in the mail or an ISP cut-off.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see that there are a few other voices in the wilderness here who are against music and movie pirating and other forms of copyright infringement.

I got pretty fierce about this a few months ago, and people did not take kindly to my opinion, to say the least.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Being against SOPA and PIPA doesn't make one a thief any more than being against marijuana prohibition makes you a pothead.

This law is coming as YouTube and others move more into programming that competes against existing networks and cable. The big networks and studios aren't pushing this bill because of piracy. They're pushing it to stifle and/or kill competition.

Draft saved Draft deleted