1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wii Fit question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Dec 28, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Is it any wonder I loves ya like I do? :-*

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've often wondered why, but always been glad you do.

*hugs*

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Dear SJboard,
    What am I doing wrong? While laying on my couch with my left hand in a bag of cheese puffs, I wave my right hand around to simulate jogging on the Wii Fit. I've yet to lose any weight, or even get in better shape. Help!

:)

4. jps

jps Active Member

hc, what's nice, too, is that you can use the fit to do your walking if the weather is no good. there's a step-up, step-down deal on there that will track your steps and help you keep a steady pace while watching tv or what have you. use it a lot if I can't get out. if you go for 30 minutes, you can get about 3,000 steps in - which, I think, is close to 1 1/2 or 2 miles or so.

like anything, you will get out of it what you put in.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

jps, you talk about watching TV at the same time, do you have two TVs or can you turn it to the TV and still know what you're doing?

6. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

I have a Wii Fit, and while it's fun, if you want to lose a great deal of weight like that, it's not going to happen by standing on the balance board and hitting soccer balls with your head, or doing low-impact step aerobics.

I would recommend the Couch-to-5K program by CoolRunning.com (there are also podcasts available for download that you can listen to as you run/walk the different levels. The music is SUPER cheesy, but the encouragement is great), along with the 30-Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. Invest in that DVD and two sets of handweights and I think you'll see greater results (and quicker, too) for much, much less coin than buying a Wii Fit.

Also, sign up for SparkPeople.com to help you set up a healthy eating plan to go along with you Ct5K plan and 30-Day Shred workouts.

7. jps

jps Active Member

the program unlocks different levels as you progress and get better at certain activities. there are two set step aerobic programs and, after that, a 'free step.' you can set it for 10, 20 or 30 minutes and set the pace up to a certain speed. there are three different tones that you can choose from that will play through the remote that help you keep pace. that lets you change the channel and keep hearing the instructions. there is also a free jog you can use in the same way.

tonight I plan to run through about 30 or 45 minutes of strength and aerobic activities and then will watch the first 30 minutes of 24 while stepping away.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The female Wii trainer is hot!

9. jps

jps Active Member

blair, we're in an upstairs apartment right now -- God, I hope we can afford to get out of here soon -- but wondering how much jumping is involved in the 30 minute shred dvd. are we gonna piss off our downstairs neighbors to no end?

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

As long as the Wii is on a different feed from the cable, once you start a long run, or long step program, you can change feeds and watch tv... the Wiimote will talk to you and tell if you're going too slow or fast.

11. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

There's not a heavy amount of jumping involved - but there is a section involving jumping jacks. Most of it is controlled weight work, planks, etc. to help build core strength. It's 20-minute (give or take cool down time) workouts for 30 days to help improve your all around cardio fitness and core strength.

My $.02 -- this workout is so great and gives such awesome results, I wouldn't think twice about possibly pissing the neighbors off for a couple of minutes every two or three days.

Short of Billy Blanks' first Tae Bo workout video, I've never found one that is so difficult but works so well. It's going to hurt like a sonofabitch at first, but when you finally finish stage 1 and move to stage 2, you're going to be so proud of yourself, you won't be able to wait to accomplish the next level.

12. sostartled

sostartled Member

My wife does this. It seems to me that there's a bit of jumping jacks involved. Maybe some moving around with weights if I remember correctly.

About WiiFit - I think the point is that it's a fun way to transition to a harder/more conventional workout. Anyone COULD go for a walk or a run, but it's so f-ing boring. I think WiiFit can get those people who normally wouldn't go to the gym up and moving.

Draft saved Draft deleted