1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wife out of a job, and I'm about to be out a son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Apr 12, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Ya know, the best laid plans of mice and men....or however the saying goes....comes to mind.

I'm going to take another angle. Maybe all this is happening to show that when jobs and other crap happen in life, the one thing we're supposed to have is the ones we love. You guys have a kid who needs both. You've got harder times than me right now and I can't begin to imagine the helplessness or frustration. What God's put together, you know, sometimes makes sense when nothing else does. I'd say to both of you: realign your focus now. Try to salvage through what may seem to be the impossible. It worked years back for me and my wife. It can be done. Praying for you both, and your kid, and the evil stepfather.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

In every district I've worked in that's not how it works unless she was on a non-continuing contract; not sure if it's different where you are.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Not happening in Indiana. $300mil has been slashed from the budget, another $100mil cut coming in July, and the State Superintendent of Destroying Public Instruction has all but said the slashed budgets are going to be the new baseline.

However, if she is looking for work, Florida schools are hiring like crazy. Or at least they're posting jobs.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good luck with the divorce and with keeping in touch with your son.
    Unless you have kids, the feelings they generate inside you can't even be imagined.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm from the same part of the US as Harley (those of you who have read some of my earlier posts have seen I've identified that place but I'll respect Harley's preference to keep it ambiguous for this thread). Things tend to operate a bit differently in this state. I have a friend who was a teacher until she got laid off by her district last summer. It was a small district and last year, two second-grade teachers were not needed. Both second-grade teachers were in their second year with the district. My friend was the one who got cut. She feels it was because the principal liked the other teacher better. And I've seen things even more petty than that happen in school districts around here, so it's entirely possible that Harley's wife suffered from favoritism for someone else.

And jobs are being cut everywhere in this state. The state has suffered a huge shortfall and all sorts of plans are going around. The school district I'm in intends to eliminate at least one teacher at each grade level in the elementary schools this year (going from 4 to 3). The neighboring school district last night proposed combining the girls and boys golf teams so that the coach would miss less class time, which means using subs less often. And with no girls team, other expenses would go down (Hello, Title IX lawsuit).

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Handsome, if you get really pissed off at her, shit in a box and give it to her. That always made me feel better [/Drip] . . . . ::)

Dude, is there any way you could find a job in Oregon, so you can stay involved with your son?

Draft saved Draft deleted