1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wie to Stanford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Sorry if this is D_B ... didn't see it on page 1 or 2

From AP (Doug Ferguson):
    Michelle Wie celebrated her first victory of the year _ she got accepted to Stanford.
    The 17-year-old senior at Punahou School in Honolulu said Tuesday she would enroll in the fall, dispelling any talk she would concentrate exclusively on her professional golf career once she finished high school.
    "No one really believed me," Wie said from Orlando, Fla., where she is working with swing coach David Leadbetter. "Now that I got into Stanford ... it was one of my dreams, and I want to go through with it. I definitely want to go there and really try to graduate."
    Wie has been mixing school and tour golf since she played three LPGA Tour events at age 12. She turned professional in October 2005 and earned close to $20 million this year from endorsements, earnings and appearance money overseas.
    And while she still hasn't won on the LPGA Tour _ she had three close calls in the majors _ Wie said her nerves were never more jangled than waiting to see if she had been accepted. She got the news Friday.
    Wie's grandfather, an aunt and an uncle went to Stanford, and that was her first choice all along.
    "I got an e-mail on Wednesday telling me the directions to find out online, with a password and pin code," she said. "I think they do that on purpose. They enjoy making people suffer for two days. I was counting down the days _ Friday at 1 p.m. was like doomsday. I was really stressed out. I had stomach aches, and Thursday I couldn't eat anything."
    After a final exam Friday morning, she asked to be excused from English, bringing two friends to the computer lab to punch in the code and see if she had been accepted.
    "They screamed, I screamed, we were reading the letter out loud, and everyone gave us these weird looks," she said.
    Wie said two other students from Punahou also got into Stanford, while her best friends were accepted at Duke and Harvard. She did not know what she would study, narrowing it down to business, economics or marketing.
    Told that Tiger Woods lasted only two years at Stanford before he turned pro, she said, "Hopefully, I'll last a little longer."

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And Doug works in Tigers Woods...

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

...but only in the final graf.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Doug gets bashed for his frequent tiger references, but in this case ya gotta point that tidbit out.
    Now, writing 24 inches on the target tournament for monday -- that was Tiger overkill.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If you're Stanford, your endowment drive demands that you go after Wie.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is a great opportunity for her. She can get a little drunk, make some new friends, and enroll in Intro To Putting as a freshman. I think she should take the class pass/fail, though. Not her strongest subject.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe the school will teach her to become an insufferable douche, just like Tiger...

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And there's a problem with that because?

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

???

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's not fair.

It's pretty obvious he was an insufferable douche long before he enrolled at Stanford.

11. I'm kind of skeptical she can turn around the football program right away, but it's a good, solid hire.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good point... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted