1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why youth sports and $$$$ don't mix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 13, 2006.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/081306dnspotitans.2137e55.html

I must say, I'm disturbed by the phrase "one of the country's most highly regarded 11-year-olds." Perhaps it's just me.

2. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Don't forget ESPN and its annual Little League WS coverage. I'd say that is kind of bizarre.

3. This guy is hardly the first, just the latest.
    Snopp Dogg and Master P do the same thing, though not on that grand of a scale.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Wow.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Holy crap. Compelling read, certain to shortly become an Outside the Lines.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

You're right. Two major youth hockey clubs in Detroit are sponsored by millionaires ...

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know, at the end of the day you can't buy talent or good genetics. So what is the end game here? What percentage of 12 year old kids will grow up to be pro athletes? What percentage will go on to college athletic scholarships? This is a billionaire showing off to the world that he is a billionaire. It's all about him, not about the kids. How telling is the quote from the 12-year-old kid: "Only God could give something like this to someone." You'd think someone seemingly as succesful as this idiot would feel good about himself without having to be God to a bunch of 12-year-olds. It blows my mind that someone could actually have that sort of need. How can't an ADULT see how this is a formula for some screwed up kids? We are screwed, societally.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My boy Fly can speak to this with far more authority than me but I don't know if you can compare the Compuware and Little Caesar's hockey programs (which I think are the ones you are talking about here) to this....

9. Flash

Flash Guest

What if ... and fuck me if I'm being naive and/or overly idealistic but bear with me here ... said billionaire just wants to give back to the community and make sure these kids get to play the best they can? Are we really so black-hearted and cynical that we have to assume the worst?

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I am referring to those programs. Most of their costs are financed by the sponsors. I remember the boys from Compuware walking around the rink all dolled up in their matching suits and leather jackets. Looked sharp.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The billionaire's motives may be pure, Flash, but he's going about it in the wrong way with charter flights all over the country, luxury hotels and people attending to these kids' every need as if money is no object. If he wants to get them first-rate coaching and snazzy uniforms, fine. But he's completely spoiling them, in addition to sending the message at 8-10 years old that they can have whatever they want just because they're good basketball players. There's no way I'd let my kid be a part of that program, no matter how good a player he was.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

What happens if/when I say yes?

Draft saved Draft deleted