1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why we hate airlines, Case No. 78120987243

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Nov 29, 2011.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Two airlines now fly nonstop between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and advance roundtrips can be had for $119. In January, Southwest will no longer fly that route. When it stops, the USAirways fare will be $698. Happy holidays!

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

$80 round trip in 2 hours by rail. Why would anyone fly that route?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's under 300 miles. Drive.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, no crap. That's only a 3 episode-stretch of the Johnny Cash Radio Show podcast or you could learn to speak Spanish by the time you got home just by listening to a podcast.

Yes, I listen to lots of podcasts on long drives...makes things go quicker.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A line owns the route, and they're free to rape.

Surprised Southwest is abandoning it. Be curious to hear their reasoning.

6. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

2 hours by rail? Nope, certainly not. And certainly not $80 roundtrip, either. It's an 8-hour trip on the train. I've made it. The rails take a somewhat circuitous route through PA. Nothing direct. Lots of stops.

Driving is the easy thing; it's only 5 hours, although tolls have skyrocketed. I sometimes take the Megabus, which sounds awful but isn't bad, and for between $2.50 and $80 roundtrip, it's cheaper than driving and I can sleep/surf the web/listen to podcasts and music/etc. without worrying about the road.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. I looked at the Amtrak site quickly and didn't notice the route they listed was Philly to DC, then on to Pittsburgh.

That said, as others have noted, it's not a difficult drive. I'd rather spend five hours in the car than three hours in airports any day of the week.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Sorry if I am stating the obvious but they are probably not making money on the route.

In one of the stories I read it said that the planes were half full, lets say around 70 people per flight. If they were all paying the advance fare of 119 (approx 60 each way) that gives a revenue number of about $4200 each way. There was probably a variety of fares so this number is likely higher, call it $6000 - $7000.

I would hazard a guess that the cost of operating that short a distance is somewhere ~$7000/hour and the flight is around one hour, 20 minutes.

At a load factor of 50% they are in the red, get it to 70% and they are making money.

Southwest does not stay on a route that does not perform.

Draft saved Draft deleted