1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Ben Rhodes profile in the New York Times Magazine is just gross.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So a narrative about a narrative about a narrative....

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You must be talking about the coordinated response from the left, attacking Samuels.

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Ahha Samels taught long-form narrative writing at nyu.

"Rhodes knew who I was. How do I know that? Because the White House is equipped with Google. And because Rhodes told me so himself. He earned a Master of Fine Arts degree at N.Y.U., where I taught, and he appreciates longform narrative journalism, which is what I do."

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, my issues with the original story had nothing to do with the revelation (and, really, was this a revelation to anyone? Aaron Sorkin made it a central theme of West Wing 20 years ago) about the selling of presidential policy through the development of a narrative.

My issues were with Rhodes' eagerness to have the story written in the first place, his tone-deaf quotes patting himself on the back and the way the obviously enamored wannabe, Samuels, lapped it all up.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, he's the most honest guy in D.C.

6. Earthman

By any means necessary:

"Rhodes readily admitted to me that the work he does is a potentially dangerous distortion of democracy, but he also felt that it had become a necessary evil, caused by the fracturing of the 20th-century mass audience and the decline of the American press."

7. Earthman

This must have been Ben Rhodes idea:
    “With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well,” President Barack Obama said at the White House on Jan. 17—without disclosing the $400 million cash payment.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The ends justify the means. The arrogant foundation of modern American liberalism.

Earthman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted