1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Beatles "Rock Band" hype is worthwhile

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So much of what the self-reverential 60s generation produced and/or worshipped has been overhyped beyond all reason.
    Dylan.
    Ali.
    Woodstock.
    Janis Joplin.
    Mickey Mantle.
    But not the Beatles. The Beatles, love them, like them or loathe them, were brilliant. Undeniably brilliant. This from someone who's never bought one of their records.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agree with all you posted, Twoback, aside from the whole not buying their records thing. I would also add that they were innovative as can be in the studio. Just an amazingly creative bunch.

But the reason for the "Rock Band" hype being worthwhile is even simpler: Because whenever one of these games comes out, especially the band-specific ones, they are always excellent.

Guitar Hero: Metallica was the advanced band version. And I suspect Guitar Hero: Van Halen will be similar, just for those without as much stamina.

Rock Band: Beatles is for those who want to have a great time, and appreciate some incredible music.

Some bands (cough, Led Zeppelin, cough) refuse to get into this video game thing. Others (cough, Beatles, cough) are resisting iTunes. Both are undeniably effective ways of getting classic music to today's consumers.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love the Beattles, but I'll admit they're over-hyped.
    Dylan = not over-hyped

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The extra 't' is for 'terrific'!

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Whatever you've been drinking, I'll take a double.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

No kidding.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From virtually all reports, the Beatles themselves (Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia) all want the songs released to iTunes. It's the other fucking fuckers who have gotten their fingers into control of the catalog who are hanging it up. Remember, it was nearly a decade after CDs burst on the scene before the catalog went to disc.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

The Mick. Now and forever.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sign no. 90210 I am old: I don't get Rock Band or Guitar Hero. At all. Or how there's money to be made by the Beatles, VH, et al, in selling their catalog to the games.

Here, have a wiffle bat. Boom. Now you have an air guitar. Now go out and play in the fucking sun, you stupid kids.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a whiffle ball bat, so...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Outstanding.

(I feel the same way, for the record.)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I felt the same way ... until I played the game. It's kinda fun. I wouldn't spend money on it. But if a friend has it and I'm at their house, I'll play it.

Draft saved Draft deleted