1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why some people shouldn't be in education: Hang that Cub Scout terrorist!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the girl was expelled for a year because grandma sent the knife, did they give the teacher who actually used it the electric chair?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yup. You only cover us when our Cub Scout brings his knife to school!

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Also, is there no responsibility on the part of the parents here? Most 6-year-olds don't go to school with anything their parents don't know about, and from the description of him, I'm guessing this one probably asked to take his multi-tool to school.

If you're a parent and you don't know that your kid can't bring knives -- any kind of knives -- to school, then you're an idiot. If you know that, and you let him do it anyway, then you're an idiot and a bad parent. Tell the kid he can't take the thing to school. How hard is that?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought of that, but the kid easily could have just slipped it in his pocket.

I always lecture my kids that it's stupid to bring a knife to school when a nice pair of scissors or a pointy protacter can easily do as much damage.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Look, there's zero tolerance and then there's zero tolerance with no common sense. This is a 6-year-old kid, and we're asking that a 6-year-old kid have the judgement of a 16-year-old? It's a camping tool. If there was a hint that he was angry about something, then yes, there's a problem. But otherwise, let's get real. If we have to have an activist judge for this, then we need the government to help us take a poop.

6. ScribePharisee

And could have snuck it out anyway. Bust his ass at home for lying in that case, but leave the courts out of it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You seem unable to grasp the meaning of zero tolerance.

It's not called common sense tolerance. It's called zero tolerance.

8. ScribePharisee

Well then, let's use legal verbiage and define within the realm of common sense what the law is....or better yet, make a distinction in the discipline result between a cub scout's pride and joy and a switchblade. How's that? There's plenty of black and white here to get the point across.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the kid and the parents. This is just plain dumb. I remember how pissed I was as a kid when we couldn't play Kill the Carrier or Dodgeball anymore, ah the good ol days.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Look. It's the hard line law and order folks who makes these stupid rules.

I assume that folks didn't intend to make it impact nice, white, harmless first graders, but they didn't want some stupid principal letting some gang banging 10-year-old off the hook so they took away that chance to molly coddle away.

Everyone wins.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

These people are too stupid to be given the responsibility of educating our children.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Using that logic, we would have people openly carry box cutters on airplane flights. Just sayin'

Draft saved Draft deleted