1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Bitter, Herb? 2014 Edition (page 14)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 3, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? (Happy Passover, if that's possible.)

I'll bite. I don't have a clue. Clue me in.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

21 is the queenpin during holidays, for sure.

we had 20 -- including the shockeys -- here last night. my wife the shiksa does a marvelous job. of course, the guests start saying goodbye at 9:30 and don't leave until 10:30. from 9:31 until he finally gets my mom out the door, father of shockey is repeating over and over, "c'mon, mother of shockey, finding a parking spot at home at this time of night will kill me!"

mom gets dropped off by dad, right in front of their apartment building in brooklyn, where shockey grew up. dad of shockey circles forever waiting for a spot on the correct side of the street.

at least mom makes a helluva brisket. and the chopped liver was to die for. dad shelled out 5 bucks apiece to the 8 kids looking for the matzoh. cripes, i was lucky to get 50 cents. he loves spoiling the kiddies.

can't wait for round 2 for the shockeys: easter sunday with the other side of the family. happy happy joy joy. now i know what dad of shockey meant when i'd bellyache why mom's and dad's had a "day" but kids didn't. "because," he'd say, "EVERY day is kids' day."

ain't it the truth.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

(21 stares blankly at screen trying to understand what this can possibly mean...'palate cleaning' as in, everyone barfed and then started over??)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know the washing of the hands. I know the hard boiled eggs. You may have the only seder that has ever seen feta cheese and watermelon. Only things more incongruous I can think of would be grits and mango after the bitter herbs.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'm not Jewish, but I love this thread.

Bitter herbs, grits and mango.

Thank you.

Happy holidays.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That's what they called it, not what I would call it :)

7. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

agreed. happy passover to all.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is so classic, I can't stop laughing.

I had no idea shockey was MOT....same for EStreet. Great great stuff.

So tell me....the fried matza decision....is it eggs, or french toast? Do you eat it with salt, or jelly, or ketchup, or what? (And watermelon/feta is not an option here...)

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

eggs. make it as if you were making french toast. oh, and jelly is all that will do.

matzoh brei. yum-yum. ;D ;D

oh, yeah, 21, the other ritual for all the j-holidays is all the men discussing how long it took them to get here from where they live, with deep analysis of the route best taken. it's right out of "a walk on the moon," with the guys talking only about how long from the city to the catskills.

mother of shockey, god bless her:
    "the belt parkway was crawling. who knew all the jews would be going to long island? they used to come to brooklyn from long island. father of shockey, i told you you should have taken the B-Q E to the grand central. the children were getting so cranky waiting for us. maybe next time you will listen to me for once. i could've married joe bernstein, you know. there's not this kind of traffic in boca. shockey, send the gorgeous boys out to the car to help grandpa bring in the brisket and gefilte fish. did you remember to buy the horse radish?"

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

My wife (non-Jewish) tells me I'm to eat gefilte fish only when she is not around. She can't even stand to look at it in the jar. Me, hey, I love it. A good Passover tradition (this coming from a pretty non-observant Jew, but I have kids, so it's nice for them to at least see my doing some Jewish stuff for a change).

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What's up with the hard-boiled eggs? I thought it was supposed to be a roasted egg?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Have you ever smelled a roasted egg?

Draft saved Draft deleted