1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Bitter, Herb? 2014 Edition (page 14)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 3, 2007.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My aunt's table looked like Thanksgiving the first night, though not quite as many desserts (and they weren't quite as wonderful. Non-dairy plus non-leavened is a rough combo!) She made brisket the second night, and I was very happy.

We tried to do the 60-minute seder this year, a brand new set of books. Last year, the 30-minute seder took entirely too long because my uncle continuously pontificated. I'm not sure we even got to 30 minutes this year, as he skipped pages at random. I miss the Maxwell House Haggadah.

I discovered a secret stash of Passover products at a supermarket near my office, the biggest assortment I've seen at a non-Kosher store. All I bought was yogurt because the prices were exorbitant... but I will be very happy for the breakfast before tomorrow's all-day track meet.

Pesach sameach and peaceful digestion to all!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I miss you.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thank you Slappy. I did think of SJ on Passover, when my mother was finally leaving, with all her ziplocs of leftovers...stopping with one foot out the door to say, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I had surgery last week!'

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As always, I'm curious about the roasted egg.

Does anybody still follow that tradition?
    What the heck does a roasted egg taste like?

One of these days I'm going to roast an egg out of goyim curiosity.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Years ago, I went to a huge seder at a co-worker's parents' house and through some kind of luck of the draw, I got stuck eating the roasted egg. It was DISGUSTING. It tasted like burnt, well, I don't even know what. Just an overwhelming burnt taste. The texture was like that of an overcooked hard-boiled egg - very, very rubbery. According to the co-worker's mom and grandmother, by eating the egg, I would ensure that within the next year, I would meet the guy I would marry and within a year after that, I would be engaged. Here I am, at least 10 years later, never engaged and with horrid memories of that disgusting egg.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Long story short re the roasted egg: it's a lot easier than dragging an entire roasted baby calf onto the dining room table.

Tastes like chicken.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm roasting an egg next year.

I just put it in my calendar.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do it now. We'll wait.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Too late, it's already calendared for next Easter/Passover season.

Draft saved Draft deleted