1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scoop's Vegas Column TRUMPS Whitlock's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, this thread was just fine without any picture of a blackman's poot.
    Now you got to go and put a face to a smell...

Moron.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't feel bad, SC. I don't get half the pop references on this board simply because I don't watch much TV, either.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Give me a break, "bruh."
    You don't know the difference between positive and negative attention, which is the mark of a true, classless idiot.
    I don't have any interest in smelling anyone's "poot."
    Scoop Jackson is the antithesis of sports journalism.
    His ass-sniffing "journalism" is what we're all trying to avoid - and that All-Star Game column you posted is the perfect example.
    Whitlock got it right. Scoop got it all wrong.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Sports is 'SUPPOSE' to be that area in life where we relax.

Nowdays, Sports is that area where we TRY to make new by VILLIFYING THE BLACKMAN!

The only NEWS that came out of NBA Allstar weekend was PACMAN JONES! We will gladly hand him over to you.

Everything else was a success.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who is "we," whitepages?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Whitlock > Scoop. And it's not even close. Not just with the columns in question, but in the more general sense. That's all that needs to be said, really.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Congratulations, you know how to use quotes and manipulate them to your advantage. Scoop's ass-sniffing journalism is what we're trying to AVOID.
    I don't vilify black men or "The BLACKMAN" as you say.
    Get over yourself, please.
    And I'd say there was plenty of news that came out of All-Star Weekend beyond Pac-Man.
    Read Whitlock's column for examples, "bruh."

8. noidea

noidea Guest

While I won't vouch for any of Scoop's ESPN stuff (he simply doesn't take enough stands to be a columnist), his stuff at Slam showed that he is a better feature writer than almost anyone in the magazine business. Not a great reporter, and he lobs a lot of softballs for questions, but when it comes to putting his fingers on the keyboard and creating prose - the guy is (or at least was) a genius. that simple.

as far as his style goes, it completely works for his target demographic. as for anyone who continually makes fun of the use of ebonics (whether in this thread or anywhere else) - that vernacular is its own distinct dialect, which traces its roots to africa. it is not, by any means, simply a broken down form of american vernacular english. reading a fucking linguistics book before you spout off bigotry.

by the way, i'm a white male. if anyone was wondering.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Are you sure?

10. Good luck, rook.
    You're going to need it.

11. Sorry. The parallel is shocking for the sake of being shocking, which is great talk-radio, but not good thinking and not good writing. It fails Godwin's Law, among other things. You simply cannot throw that parallel around for effect, any more than you ought recklessly toss around "Nazi" or "Commie" or "jihadi" or anything similar simply to make a point. It's not argument. It's vandalism.
    You may now resume taking compliments.

12. OldBeatGuy

OldBeatGuy New Member

99 times out of 100, I'm with you on that idea, Fenian.

But that piece was the real deal. That's the one-time exception, right there.
    Even the best rules have rare exceptions, and this was it, is all I'm saying.

I think Whitlock knew just what he was doing with that.
    Maybe give the column another try?

Draft saved Draft deleted