1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why run attendance?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone please explain to me why we continue to run MLB attendance figures with each boxscore, and "because it's too time-consuming to go in and delete every one" is not an acceptable answer. This is the only non-factual item there and, as Wednesday's Atlanta-Florida game showed, it can be a terrible misrepresentation. The box indicates there were more than 11,000 there when, by the stories I read, the actual figure was about 600. If nothing else, we ought to list this for what it is: tickets sold.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sometimes, attendance can tell a story in itself.

Tampa Bay not only doesn't reek of epic fail, it looks like the Rays are going to postseason. Yet the Rays attendance figures do not reflect those of a team that currently has the best record in baseball.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's based on tickets sold -- through corporations, season tickets, gate sales, etc. -- so while it tells a different picture, I'm not so sure it isn't accurate. It is misleading, though, if you don't know it's not just how many people are sitting in the stadium.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mark Cuban would like to know this as well:

http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/kaufman/2003/12/10/wednesday/

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe they can do what the NFL used to do; publish the no-shows.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

No, it's not accurate if you report attendance at 11,000 when there were 600 people in the stadium. Attendance was 600; tickets sold was 11,000; there's a difference.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

People like everything quantified, including how many of said people were at the game. If we had stats on how many nachos got sold and how many deuces got dropped, we'd run 'em

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That would be Trouser Buddah's beat.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, wasn't that great? I think in a roundabout way announcing no-shows, while seeming to show a weakness, actually displayed the NFL's strength. It said, ``Yup, here's a negative statistic and we're so superior and powerful we're just going to to announce it. We can take it.''

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, when I saw the topic, I thought it was going to be about putting attendance in a game story, something I believe is unnecessary about 95 percent of the time.

My former shop had a rule I very much agree with, telling writers not to put the attendance in a gamer unless there's a compelling reason to, such as the end of a sellout streak or the largest (or smallest) crowd in 20 years or something like that. Some places I've worked went the opposite way, mandating writers mention the attendance.

To me, unless there's a reason it's part of the story, the attendance figure just becomes clutter, an irrelevant fact forced into the copy for its own sake.

Any thoughts?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The AJC spent at least a year putting attendance in prep football stories. I'm pretty sure the guys were just making it up.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been at games before where the metro writers just pulled a number out of their ass.

If you're going to do that, why bother?

Draft saved Draft deleted