1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not to work for Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonSouthPaw, Mar 12, 2010.

1. On March 4, 2010, awards of annual cash bonuses to certain GateHouse Media, Inc. executive officers were declared, as set forth below. It is anticipated that such bonuses will be paid out late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 2010.

Michael R. Reed, Chief Executive Officer $500,000

Melinda A. Janik, Senior VP and Chief Financial Officer $150,000

Scott T. Champion, Regional Manager $50,000

Polly Grunfeld Sack, Senior VP, Secretary and General Counsel $125,000

Kirk A. Davis, President and Chief Operating $ 250,000

Mark Maring, Treasurer and VP of Investor Relations and Strategic Development $75,000

-------

Just keep crying poor A$$H0LE$

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but if you don't give them their bonuses, they won't stay! They'll take their unique talents in running a newspaper company into the ground elsewhere!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Newspapers aren't alone in this.

If a hard-working secretary grabbed $100 out of they petty cash, they'd sic the cops on her. A poor performing exec at a failing company can legally raid the till, though.

Amazing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On many levels, business in the U.S. is coming to resemble business in Russia in the 1990s, that is, indistinguishable in practice from organized crime.
    Russia got Vladimir Putin in response, because people didn't care too much about democracy as long as the crooks got what was coming to them. Wonder who we'll get.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This just makes me sick. Do I have a strong belief and faith in capitalism ... Yes.

But this is just an example of people in power trying to capitalize on those busting their asses to make what little money newspapers may pull in. They take these bonuses, basically raiding the cash register for whatever they can grab, before the business crashes and burns and we the little people are left with nothing - no jobs, no money and no other business to turn to. But at least they'll have the emergency money from these bonuses saved up in their bank accounts when all the decisions they've made at the top cause the destruction of the industry we all love.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Gatehouse is a tremendous company. They hired me out of college for $19,000 per year with no benefits. They also were kind enough to offer me three days of vacation per year. Can you believe it?!?!?

They also let me work all the overtime I wanted and didn't even make me go through the hassle of having extra money deposited into my bank account.

The genorosity continued when it came to office supplies as my editor had given me an allowance of two pens per month!I was even allowed to choose if I wanted those pens to be full of black ink or blue ink. When I was feeling a bit wild, I would ask for one blue pen and one black pen. Those were the days.

I also my own parking spot which was conveniently located in the alley behind the adjacent halfway house. Those former convicts were sure nice people --- they always kept a watchful eye on my vehicle. I know this because of the way they would stare at it as I walked out of sight.

My Gatehouse-owned newspaper had made a strong commitment to technology. They purchased a copy of Microsoft Word. Once, when nobody else in the office was using the copy, I was able to open a document that had been e-mailed to me. With all of that technology at my fingertips, I felt like I was in the future. What's next I thought? Flying cars?

The corporate officers and executives were great people to work for. One evening they e-mailed me (so personal!) and offered me $1 million dollars if I could find an idea for their company that would make them $50 million dollars. How selfless of them?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You got pens that were full of ink? Lucky!

9. bob

bob Member

Those bastards just raised Gatehouse's debt from $1.2 billion to $1.2999 billion.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading about that gimmick, either on here or elsewhere. The joke was that if someone had an idea to make $50 million, why would they share it with the suits?

BTW, did anyone ever collect that $1 million bonus?

And those Gatehouse guys are posterchildren for socilism.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

He got pens?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

apeman33 (left) discusses his office's supply situation with a colleague.

Draft saved Draft deleted