1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no AQ attacks? Maybe ... because of Bush?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, May 30, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Meanwhile, in entirely related news, one of the most dangerous men in the world has broken his silence, and it doesn't bode well for our "ally" Musharraf.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4964884&page=1

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I don't know much about American politics, including political history. I'm just wondering aloud, mainly. It's certainly nothing I get upset or obsessed with.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This isn't really news. I am confident that the US has known all along that the Pakistani government was involved. Khan was merely the scapegoat. Hell, he's still doing it from his "house arrest."

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

And yet President Moral Clarity still does business with Pakistan.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to hold your nose and pick your friends. See: 2004, presidential election.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That same statement could be said about both candidates running for president, as well.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The US has always publicly stated that the Pakistani government didn't know about Khan's activity. They have to do that in order to keep the public off their back enough to allow for "good" relations with Musharef.

The idea is that we are better off with the devil we know, Musharef, than the one we don't, his eventual replacement.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I find the telling failure of that article's central assertion - that we really have no way of knowing at this moment whether we're any safer, after spending trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives, and corrupting our own founding principles - bonechilling.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I understand that. It's just infuriating to see Bush vacillate between realpolitik (i.e., better off with the devil we know) and "moral clarity" (i.e., not dealing with ANY devils at all).

10. Frylock

Frylock Member

Is it possible that one reason there has been no attacks on American soil since 9/11 is the focus has been on our presence in Iraq?
    What will happen when we pull out?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If you do it in time, she probably won't get pregnant.

Draft saved Draft deleted