1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this board dying?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Seconded. Pallister, I get the feeling that you and I would agree on most things as long as we didn't get into baseball or politics.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I suspect one reason is there are more outsiders than journalists on the boards these days.

I know that some of the journalists who used to participate often have been alienated by a lot of the nonsense (see: mike311gd) that goes on with the other (Sports and News, Anything Goes) boards.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As a side note, I don't have a whole lot to say on this board these days since I'm in broadcast now. Most discussions over here are about newspapers.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Outsiders have infected the board to no end. That's a big reason for the board dying but I think a bigger factor is that the jobs are dying except in places no one wants to live in or be associated with.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Again, TSP gave us empirical evidence that the journalism board is not dying. I suspect, as with any aspect of the board, you can find periods with much more participation and a lot less. Natural ebbs and flows.

But yes, it is a lot more grim on here than it had been. A couple of years ago, we had people here talking about how blogs were or weren't going to kill newspapers. I guess one might say that the journo board is now rendering the verdict.

And Smash, two things: I think Anything Goes and Journo are worlds apart, one not really affecting participation in the other. And it's pretty bush to single out a poster like that.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The idiocy on one board tends to diminish interest in the site overall.

Everybody here has a name (real or imagined) so why bitch about "some" posters who are a problem? That's as lame (or "bush") as people complaining about "the media." There are a handful of people who are in the middle of every thread that goes awry, and I have no problem identifying them.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

MUAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Let me go stir up the dust and see if there's anything like that over there.

... ... ... ... ... ...

Nope. Only thing that's over there are two warm, half-empty beer kegs of indeterminate vintage and an SportsJournalists.com thong ... slightly used.

:D

Seriously ... there's not that much traffic over there.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you have no problem violating the rule posted by Webby about personal attacks?

9. I hate to see this turn into a state of the board thread. I think Frank pretty much nailed it. The big news in the industry is people being laid off or moving to the internet. There's not a lot of good stories being done now with shrinking staffs. People are too busy. It can be hard to keep this job from feeling like a factory at times, but that's what you have to do.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you signed up a month ago, aren't you an outsider too?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nice use of "infected," Drip. Couldn't possibly be unwelcome returnees, eh? Has to be the "outsiders?"

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I apologize for coming back to the board and wrecking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.