1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is soccer perceived the way it is in America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. rondembo

rondembo New Member

I hope this doesn't turn into a nationalistic/troll thread. My questions are simple, its probably been asked a million times before, but it still stands:

Why is soccer so unmanly/lame/boring/uncool/unpopular in the eyes of (non-immigrant, non-hispanic) American men?

How did the girly/sissy image of soccer arise in the minds of American sports journalist and sports fans?

And finally, will the image of soccer in America ever change? Or will it forever be a hated/ridiculed sport?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Why is soccer percieved the way it is in America?

Oh dear.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As Boom would say --I can't imagine I'm quoting him--it's not hated or ridiculed, it's mostly met with indifference.

Popcorn and quick. This thread has a very short shelf life.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching soccer when it's played at a high level. It's probably the most athletic sport there is, although I think basketball comes close.

However, the perception is that all they do is run around and chase a ball, without really getting many chances to score. Nothing bores Americans more than a 0-0 game, regardless of the sport.

As for the sissy question, Americans don't like men who flop on the field like they're dying at the merest hint of contact in athletic competition. That's not seen as sporting.

I also think fan behavior feeds a certain xenophobia about the game. We see fans rioting in the streets around soccer stadiums in Europe, South America and other places, we see moats and barbed-wire fences at many of those stadiums and it's a turnoff.

Finally, it's possible it has something to do with not being able to use your hands. Americans like to work with their hands, and I think it goes back to building this nation pretty much from scratch – with our hands. And a sport that doesn't allow the use of one's hands goes against something fundamental to Americans. I mean, think about the sports that originated in North America: baseball, football, basketball and hockey. All require keen hand-eye coordination, and soccer denies that.

5. rondembo

rondembo New Member

You're Canadian right? I'm talking about America, not Canada. Soccer is not hated in Canada, it is met with indifference in Canada.

However its certainly not met with indifference in the US. The media virtually never talks about soccer unless it is to ridicule it. There are endless soccer bashing articles from the US sports media, its almost become as stereotype that American men are supposed to talk shit about soccer. Sports pundits and talking heads generally openly disparage the game at every opportunity. Every time soccer manages to penetrate into the American cultural consciousness (World Cup, Beckham signing, Confed. Cup win against Spain...etc), the old stereotype that "Americans hate soccer" comes up, and endless amount of ink (virtual or real) have been dedicated to this, ex:

http://www.east-coast-bias.com/2009/06/real-reason-americans-hate-soccer.html

Anyway I don't have to prove this, its obvious that soccer has a negative image in the minds of American men. Its a girls/sissy sport that is boring and uncool to be a fan of. My question isn't whether this image exists or not, but why?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know that many people who see soccer as "girly/sissy." I know plenty who find it boring.

rodembo, no, you don't have to prove your point, but it kinda helps if you try.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing that rubs a lot of American sports fans the wrong way: soccer fans can't stand the fact that someone might not like their sport. You can't even be ambivilent about it. If you don't love it, then the implication is that you don't have the intellectual capacity to appreciate such a creative, ingenious and beautiful game. If you remark that soccer might be a bit boring and 1-0 scores aren't really that thrilling, you're immediately branded as a dumb ass redneck American.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You should inform the constantly sold-out stands at MLS's Toronto FC of that fact.

Or 2011's expansion franchise in Vancouver. And the expected expansion franchise in Montreal.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Americans don't hate soccer, otherwise ESPN wouldnt be showing so much of it.

But, hey, generalize all you want.

10. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Thanks for the honest answer.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you're wrong about this, slightly.

We're not annoyed by the fact that you don't like the sport we do.

It's that it appears to be a source of pride for you.

If I didn't like football, or baseball, or basketball, all of which I do like, that would be up to me. I wouldn't walk around like it's some badge of honor that I dislike a sport.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The goal is bigger than a two-car garage, and yet nothing happens for 80 minutes.

I can be patient but not that patient.

Draft saved Draft deleted