1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Bill Keller reporting from Tehran?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jun 16, 2009.

1. I mean, it's a big story, and he is a very accomplished journalist, and so on and so on. But is this something that happens at major newspapers? Executive editors going out on assignment and getting contributor credits? ("Nazila Fathi reported from Tehran, Sharon Otterman from New York, and Alan Cowell from Paris. Bill Keller reported from Tehran, Clifford J. Levy from Moscow and Andrew E. Kramer from Yekaterinburg, Russia.") I'm not critical, just curious.

2. somewriter

somewriter Member

E&P had a story on it (too lazy to get the link). He said he wanted to go out in the field to see his correspondents at work, get a feel for the reporting situation, and wound up pitching in as the story developed.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

And so, even in the dying days of print, the famed Bigfoot remained to roam the globe, going wherever its fancy took it...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, I don't much agree with a lot of things Keller does in running that paper. But at least he still has the stones and the chops to go some place like that and do some real journalism. Damn few top editors who would dare, for either reason.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003985635

I'm pretty lazy, too, but since I'm on the Poynter's e-mail list this was in my inbox.

Draft saved Draft deleted