1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I love Friday nights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 29, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

MILFs!

2. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We put them all on our prep website so anybody can find them. But we tell the reporters to check for name/number changes, etc.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Aunt Skanky and Uncle Crackhead want to know if the correspondent will never die or the Trash-80 will never die.

;D

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I keep getting older, they keep staying the same age.

5. AP

AP New Member

Doesn't anyone walk the sidelines anymore?

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm just glad homecoming season is winding down. I attended five homecoming games over the past three weekends. The shortest halftime was 28 minutes. I didn't even bother clocking the one I had Friday, but it was well over a half-hour. They had the visiting band, the home band, then the homecoming ceremony. They can move that shit to pregame and take all the time they want, but I have absolutely no patience for delays once play starts.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Let's not have this debate for the 739th time this season. Please.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

In a related note, how do you guys keep stats? ;D

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I'm stringing high school football, I always call the ADs early in the week and get rosters faxed to me. That has always worked; it's sure better than hand-copying the only roster that's in the press box five minutes before kick off.

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I love Friday nights because I'm ASLEEP by the time high school games end. I did my years in the penalty box of prep sports between covering games, slotting and then sports editing, and I will NEVER go back. I was stupid enough to go back once, but you know the old line, fool me once...

That said, once when I was slotting on a Friday night, we had a new kid taking scores for us. He disappeared while the phones were ringing. We figured he had gone back to the library to check a fact. But when he didn't return, we started to wonder. Walked over to his desk, found a note that said:

"I can't take it anymore." Never saw him again.

But I understand his sentiments to this day.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Down, boy, down.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fantastic story.

Draft saved Draft deleted