1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I despise Orlando columnist David Whitley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Orlando Sentinel columnist David Whitley has struck me straight through the heart not once, but twice in recent months.

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Yes, that is Whitley dressed in UCF gear riding a metal (or is it plastic?) Bull on USF's campus just days before the UCF-USF matchup in Tampa. I can discard this as him simply acting like a fool and take pride in the fact that USF beat UCF by like 100 points that week.

Exhibit B:
    Whitley's column from this week headlined: NCAA really offers bowling for women? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-whitley1307nov13,0,5852576.column

Thank you David, you are now two for two on trying to destroy things that are near to my heart.

It's an age-old question: Is bowling a sport? I can tell you it's as much of a sport as auto racing or golf, that's for sure. I love the cliche that all bowlers down beer, nachos and fried foods while competing.

Much like golf, there are different levels of bowling - recreational and competitive. The recreational side involves plenty of beer, french fries, etc. The competitive side involves virtually none of that.

To dismiss the achievement of the Vanderbilt women's bowling team is a shame, especially when its done by someone who has absolutely no understanding of what it takes to compete at bowling's highest level.

I'd invite everyone to read a column written by Tom Clark when he was at USA Today that talks about why bowling IS a sport. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bowling/clark/2001-10-30-clark.htm

And David, if you happen to be reading this, I invite you to come visit us at the United States Bowling Congress headquarters and we will show you exactly why bowling is a sport. I'll even pay for the trip.

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Be careful what you wish for - he may take you up on that.
    You would enjoy bowling and having a couple with him. David's a very good guy (honest)

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Come on. Bowling is not a sport.

If it is, so is darts. And cornhole

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey, keep it clean

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I gotta agree with Moddy on this one.
    Perhaps it's better to say you despise some of his columns.
    Don't despise the man until you've met him.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

MY SON WORKS IT IN JUST AS HARD AS ANYONE ELSE!!!!

8. Alcohol isn't involved in college bowling? I play my best when I'm seven beers deep. Oh, yea, same thing goes for darts and pool. Basically any sport that is located within 50 feet of a bar.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They don't have a beer frame in college bowling?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bowling, golf, pool, fishing, darts, shuffleboard = activities, not sports.

And why is it not stunning to find out that the women's bowling powerhouses are in Jersey and the Midwest. If I'm not mistaken, the Omaha paper's bowling writer is full-time.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Golf isn't a sport?

Who knew?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hunting's not a sport. It's a survival skill.

Draft saved Draft deleted