1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Defaulted on My Student Loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why would he?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because he is attempting to break a contractual agreement he entered in good faith and to which he has remaining obligations. Otherwise he is in breach of the contract.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Has Brian Kelly ever breached a contract or committed fraud for financial gain? If not, can we get back to the topic the whole Brian Kelly thing was designed to obfuscate?

4. Dick Whitman

So what? What leverage would GVSU possibly have in that negotiation?

5. Dick Whitman

He's left jobs with years remaining on his deal.

6. The Big Ragu

Did Brian Kelly ever breach a contract? He may have -- I am just not aware of it. If so, give us details and how it relates to this.

7. Dick Whitman

Brian Kelly had a contract. He broke that contract. In so doing, he suffered the consequences as spelled out in that contract, namely paying the buyout.

How is this different, again, than what the New York Times writer did?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe he thinks his future ability to enter agreements might be affected? Maybe he is concerned about his reputation? Maybe he thinks he would be better able to look at himself in the mirror? Maybe he wants to be a good example for his kids?

I get that you don't think it's particularly important, even foolish in some instances, but there are many good reasons for conducting one's business in an honorable and responsible way.

9. The Big Ragu

Wait. There was a buyout clause in his contract? If that is the case, you are incorrect. He didn't breach any contract. The contract spelled out terms in which he could leave. He lived up to those terms if he paid a buyout.

This has ZERO to do with someone who does NOT live up to the terms of an agreement. He did, if you are telling me he paid a buyout.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brian Kelly: n. American college football coach (also see: barometer for financial morality)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Businesses make decisions every day to do things in their best interest knowing it hurts others. They will bankrupt others or nickel and dime employees without a thought.

SOME FOLKS are those who never complain about shady business practices but vent on individuals who aren't pulling hard enough on the bootstraps.

Most corporations would renege on a loan like that if it added a nickel to the bottom line.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

All consequences.

Draft saved Draft deleted