1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why GOP embraces simpletons and how it hurts America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would put even money on Mitt not having read it once.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it.

I think I have it here somewhere. Haven't cracked it open yet.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I was talking about the 57 states comment.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, I thought you were referring to one of my comments.

6. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

EB, that\'s a pretty old one. I heard it about Britney Spears when she was doing that Crossroads movie.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The author of the Yahoo piece loses me when he questions the intellect of Dan Quayle, whose intellect deserves scrutiny, when he gets Quayle's name wrong. (Look up full name to see what I mean)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The GOP's Quasimodo, Dick Morris, pegged it. Romney can simply say he's evolved on abortion, and every other flop is justified, due to changing economic conditions. Utter horseshit, of course -- but unassailable, on the surface, if you believe Romney has any personal integrity, whatsover . . . which remains open to reasonable debate.

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Didn't want to wade thru 9 pages to see if anyone else made this point, but Kerry went to BC Law because of his relationship with its former dean, Father Drinan, who he'd become close with in the anti war movement. From an old issue of the BC Law alumni mag (full disclosure - I'm a BC law grad too):

A.: Although my family lived in a lot of places as I was growing up, Boston’s always been home. I was drawn to BC Law mostly because of Father [Robert] Drinan, whose first campaign for Congress I ended up chairing after I got out of the Navy and got involved in politics. In fact, the first time I ever came to BC Law was to meet with Father Drinan about his campaign.

He had left his position as dean of the Law School by the time I enrolled, but he made me aware of the Law School and its commitment to public service. I had expected to go to law school after college but got diverted by the Navy and then by my involvement in Vietnam Veterans Against the War. I went back to the law school path after I lost a race for Congress in 1972. At that point, Father Drinan helped me to get into BC Law late in the process.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure Kerry would have chosen B.C. Law over Harvard, but that's a neat first hand account.

Draft saved Draft deleted