1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't sabermetricians manage baseball teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SkiptomyLou, Sep 25, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because in-depth consideration of baseball didn't occur until 2000.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, it began the first year Bill James published an abstract.

3. dooley_womack1

All hail! ::) Get over yourself. Those people were perfectly fine with the knowledge they had

4. Dick Whitman

Yes, who doesn't long for the days when idiot managers and GM's let 21-year-old pitchers throw 350 innings a year?

5. dooley_womack1

That has nothing to do with the fact that perfectly fine hitting charts and consideration of splits occurred in the Dark Ages.

6. Dick Whitman

Who doesn't long for the days when we were treated to charts regarding a hitter's performance on Tuesday day games?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's the creep who filed papers while in the midst of the worst 150 innings pitched in team history. Did he and his equally dim manager think someone wouldn't find out about this?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's right Herb, Francona's stupid. He's won two World Series, but he's stupid. He was the skipper for the only team that came back from 0-3 in the playoffs, but he's got nothing to contribute.
    Do not let your dislike of Lackey's action make you stupid.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Earnshaw Cook, Percentage Baseball, 1966:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=9875

And Branch Rickey was keeping a lot of records which would be called "sabermetrics" back in the 1920s.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure Lackey was seeking out Francona's opinion on when would be the best time to divorce his wife.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

There were definitely pockets of baseball people using stats, like Branch Rickey and Earl Weaver. However, I don't think it was really widespread until 1) those teams started to win a bunch and 2) the tech barrier came down a lot, and it became easier to compile and distribute stats.

Also, despite the widespread availability, it wouldn't surprise me if some managers still don't use the information that's given to them, or chose to ignore it. I'm not even talking about super-advanced stuff, like the new study that suggests Posada costs 75 runs a year with his glove at catcher; I mean things like putting Tony Womack or Doug Glanville in the leadoff spot just because they're fast.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This was in response to Michael's assertion that Francona was a Dale Carnegie-level management technician.

Lackey should have been shut down months ago -- put on the DL (wink-wink) -- with this much shit swimming around in his head. Back in May and June he'd actually garnered some sympathy.

And an assclown damn near managed the expensive 2003 Red Sox to the World Series. Big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted