1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't sabermetricians manage baseball teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SkiptomyLou, Sep 25, 2011.

1. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

The Phillies have a horrible situation with their contracts going in the next few years. In about 5 years they'll be horrible again. The Giants pitching enables them to compete every year, but let's be honest they aren't a dominant team even with Posey

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This can't be a serious statement. It just can't be. No one can say that with a straight face. No one can be that clueless.

The Braves will probably STILL be in the playoffs.
    Can Freeman drink legally? Heyward?
    The catcher is younger than my son and a SIX time all-star.
    The closer is a rookie - the rookie of the year.

Uggla hits 30 a year. Prado is a very good player.

Is Jurrjens 25 yet? Don't want to say much about Hanson, his injury would concern me as a Braves fan. They have a ton of young pitching talent. Teheran. Vizcaino. This dude who goes tomorrow.

Some holes? Yeah. Swallowing their nuts this month? BIG TIME. A decline? Not likely.

3. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Jurrjens will likely be traded and Prado is the opposite of a good player. Plus they have no shortstop

4. Moderator1

You're right. They blow. If I was a Braves fan, I'd off myself.

5. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Plus they have too much pitching. How are they going to deal with that. They are handicapped by Lowe's salary and pretty much have to use him, but how do you fill the rest of the rotation with 4 more out of these? What do you do with the others?

Delgado, Hanson, Hudson, Teheran, Vizcaino, Medlen, Beachy, Minor

6. Moderator1

I don't think you can count on Hanson. And I don't know where you get the Jurrjens trade crap.

Stroke Lowe a check and tell him to have a nice life.

You farm or trade some of the others - you know that shortstop thing?

Desmond for Beachy? You game?

7. mb

mb Active Member

So, lemme see if I've got this right ...

The Braves are going to piss away their lead and miss the playoffs because they're too unsaber.
    The Red Sox are going to piss away their lead and miss the playoffs because ...

8. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

the red sox are going to hold on

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guys like Earl Weaver and Davey Johnson are twisting around their World Series rings and wondering how they won them.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I recall that the Red Sox had too much pitching going into the year, and now they're on their 12th starter. Ivan Nova started the year as the Yankees' #5. And seeing as Drabek's kid, a top pitching prospect, was the key in a deal for Roy Halladay, having too many starting pitching prospects is a nice problem to have. At the absolute worst, you just convert some of them into closers (Neftali Perez).

11. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Look at the division. The Nationals are coming on strong and the Phillies are still the Phillies for the time being. The Braves should know the highest they can finish next year in the division is probably third. Yet, there's no sense of urgency

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If you're going to be a sockpuppet, you could at least be a bit more entertaining than this. Please start talking about clutchiness, and about how the Braves need to trade Brian McCaan for someone with some veteran leadership, like a Molina brother.

Draft saved Draft deleted