1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't people like to call reporters back?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

For all the years I'd done sports and news, I never had a real problem... until now. Have been freelancing medical stories for a local magazine, and if you think coaches are tough to get on a phone, try nailing down doctors. You'd think they that would LOVE to be cited as experts in various fields, but it's like getting cats to march in a parade.

I go through the hospitals' PR folks, they pass along the request and tell the doc exactly what I'm working on, and even set me up with the easiest way to get in touch with the docs. Then, after trying to coordinate with various assistants and other underlings, it's still a bitch to actually get the doc on the phone with 15 minutes open to talk. Universally, once I do talk to them they're pretty helpful and even tell me if I run into anything we missed to call them back, but getting them on the phone that first time is a gold-plated ballbuster.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I expect it's bigger than a small grab, FWIW.

3. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Just say: "I know things. And I have pictures. You'll want to call me back."

Hey, it's not untrue. You are working for a newspaper after all.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Huntside...yes, i use that same method in, if not hearing back from then, give them a call back and express my concern about maybe missing their call. has worked practically every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted