1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't black athletes dominate soccer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 12, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many times have you posted on this thread?

Have you offered any thing constructive or did you just try to stifle 93Devil, intimidate him and make him feel foolish for asking such a question?

Sounds like Holder was right to me.

What are your thoughts on the subject anyway? You haven't offered any yet.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Before you talk about the issue, you first have to sort through the proper verbage so everyone is happy.

When people say Americans, we don't sift through five minutes of New York or Dallas? Rural or city? Catholic or Baptist?

When we say white players cannot play certain positions in football, we don't ask Irish or Jewish? German or Russian? Sweed or Serbian?

I think that is what YF is pointing out.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But I will say, YF, that I thought all Euro countries were at a 5-10% black ratio. I did not realize how "white" some of these countries are.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You clearly haven't read the thread.

I was asking 93 to clarify his question. As you'd see if you read the thread.

Pele and Drogba are both "black," but not "African-American." Someone like Zidane, as was mentioned, might be considered in some cultures a "person of color."

Which of those groups was 93 asking about? Was he asking about national teams in the world cup? Or MLS teams in the US? Or recreational teams at the local level?

Was he asking about the Netherlands? Or about Ghana?

In fact, 93 responded:

Good quesion.

Would Pele's ancestry trace back to Africa? Are the indigenous people of Brazil black?

I don't want to use African-American because this is a question that is world wide.

Maybe African-ancestry might be a better term than black. Actually, it probably is.

And I later posted

Brazil? Argentina? Seriously?

Maybe you need to be asking yourself about the demographics of European populations, since that seems to be the actual area of your concern.

Please reread the thread. Sorry if you think clarity is somehow provocative.

5. YankeeFan

So you just wanted clarification, right?

So, why didn't you answer the question once it was clarified to you?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because several others did, including Ragu, who weighed in with a very long and thorough explanation of several possibilities based on what 93 might have been asking. As did several others as well.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You'll also see in this post that I prompted 93 to go digging for more information to better frame his question.

8. YankeeFan

So, you would have shared your brilliant thoughts with us, but they became moot once others weighed in?

I call B.S.

You had no intention of answering & still don't.

9. YankeeFan

Gold star for you!

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Huh?

11. YankeeFan

Now what about that did you not understand?

I don't think you wanted to answer the question.

I think you just wanted to demand clarity from 93Devil because it's what you do. You get to act smart & make him look foolish.

But you never intended to share your thoughts on the issue.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's an unfocused question that has almost no meaning until you clarify the terms. When you say "black athletes," whom do you mean? Pele? Drogba? Or do you mean Jozy Altidore? Do you mean Americans or Ghanaians? Do you mean international soccer or EPL or La Liga? Which countries? Which continents?

Better questions bring better answers. From me, or from others.

Where did I "demand" anything of anyone?

I've shared my thoughts throughout.

Again, please read the whole thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted