1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't black athletes dominate soccer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There aren't many african-americans playing baseball either.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Brazil? Argentina? Seriously?

Maybe you need to be asking yourself about the demographics of European populations, since that seems to be the actual area of your concern.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The short answer is that the national developmental organizations in most African countries are way behind those in Europe and Latin America (and even the U.S.). It's mainly economic, not because of race.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing scientific about this analysis. And I am only a casual fan. But what follows makes intuitive sense to me.

The World Cup gets players belonging to single nations. Globalization has little (with exception made for some fudging) impact on the World Cup. Unless a country has mostly black people, or it is a country that once colonized a place inhabited by black people, the players aren't going to be black. And that sums up most of Europe and Latin America, where soccer has traditionally been strongest for a variety of reasons.

There are a lot of signs that that is slowly changing, though.

There are certain countries that tend to do well in the World Cup -- Europe, in particular, and a few South American countries. Europe dominates, for the most part, because they have been playing longer than anywhere else and devote more resources to player development at the youth level, and there are also more European countries, making the region more competitive. That means several things: The competition among the European teams is stronger than it is in other regions and to emerge and make the World Cup, they have to be particularly strong teams. They also happen to be largely white teams, because they are from Europe (plus a handful of black players if they colonized or have allowed immigration), which should answer your question about why whites (and Latins) seem to dominate the sport. It's because Europe and South America dominate the sport.

That said, black athletes have been becoming more and more prominent in soccer, because the sport has increasingly globalized over the last decade or so. The best club leagues in Europe have become less concerned with nationalism and more concerned with finding players -- wherever they come from. And they will gladly sign an African player who is good over a home-grown player who may not be as good. From the African players standpoint, Europe is where you can earn the most money, so you see it more and more with players like Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) and Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), for example (and dozens of other examples).

That is also having the effect of leveling the international playing field. Those players go to the Spanish league or the English Premier League and become even better players and then end up playing for their home nation in the World Cup, and many of those African countries (where you'd find black players) have brought their level of play up. As a result, you see countries such as the Ivory Coast and Ghana playing better soccer at the International level than they ever have. And because more and more of those African players are taking spots in the top European leagues (most English Premier League teams now have rosters filled with many foreign players), a complaint is that the European national teams are suffering because they are not developing their own players.

That globalization should mean a more level playing field over time. It may happen slowly, but all signs are that is happening.

I'd guess that over time that will level the playing field even more than we have already seen. You saw Ghana take a farther run in the World Cup this year than any African team ever has, for example, and they certainly are playing at an elite level.

So I guess the answer after all of that is that more black athletes are dominating soccer than they ever have and as globalization continues, I would bet you see more and more of it.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

AZ made me dig for some population numbers, and there is some truth in this...

In America, 12.4% of the population has Africa in their ancestry.

England lists about 2.2%, Italy 7.5%, France 2.0% and Germany and the Netherlands are less than 2.0%. So the numbers just are not there to make a dent with the exception of Italy.

The financial end and training does explain to me why teams from the Africa just do not have the push to win the World Cup or make it to the semis or the finals.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In America, it's all socio-economic and not racial.

The best soccer players in the U.S. are usually in the suburbs. They are white kids named Ethan and Brady, not white kids who are all tattoo'd up from lower-income neighborhoods. Also, most of our top soccer players are under 6'0". A sports that is low to the ground - using the feet - is an advantage for soccer. Not so in basketball (obviously), baseball (unless your speed can make up for less range) or football.

Same with swimmers and tennis players. I think baseball is a combination of socio-economic and weather -- look at the dominance of California, Arizona, Texas and Florida-raised players.

Basketball and football, in the U.S., are now dominated - almost entirely - by those who may come from "lower-income" or "single-parent" backgrounds. I think anger and desperation fuel success of so many of these athletes. For some, this IS their only way out.

Both basketball and football have an unthinkable "weeding out" process. In basketball, only 20-25 U.S.-raised basketball players enter the league each year. College football does the weeding out for the NFL. 85 scholarships at 120+ D-1 schools. Out of all of that, what, 150 rookies enter the NFL. It takes a lot of motivation (re: anger) to get past all of the competition for these jobs. When talent is close to being equal, the person who wants it more will perform better.

The "anger" factor is why I also gently nudge my son towards baseball and not just basketball. He wants to play in college but we are well off enough where he probably won't be "hard wired" to be a ruthless exterminator on the basketball court.

As for my daughter, is it wrong of me to fake that I enjoy canoeing around her so she develops a love for women's crew? :)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, that probably explains the lack of whites on the Ghana team. :D

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So the initial premise might be completely wrong, at least from a European perspective. The proportions of players of African heritage on the English, French and Dutch teams (especially France) is vastly higher than the numbers listed above.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. CR19

CR19 Member

Think about it with African-American kids. They grow up while watching guys like LeBron James of basketball and Ryan Howard make millions and become extremely popular. They don't pay as much attention to guys like Jozy Altidore. Why would you want to star in a sport that's non-existent in America with sports like baseball and basketball dominating the landscape?

10. AD

AD Active Member

why? because in america it's the other football that matters, stupid. the best african-american athletes under 6-foot-4 -- the ones who might fall to soccer in any other country -- gravitate towards football. the nfl is as massively popular in african-american communities as the nba, moreso, i'd argue, in the under-30 demographic. baseball is a distant third. soccer? no fields, no pick-up opportunities, no push from parents to create one = no hungry, working-class, african-american talent pool for the sport.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because they don't play.

-30-

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted