1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't Scott Skiles require all his players to shave their heads??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hairstyles are a distraction, and encourage a dangerous "look at me" atmosphere of egotism and individuality. Everybody shave off all their hair, everyone is equal, team team team.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ummm, ya lost me.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

Skiles and Ben Wallace had a heated exchanges and Skiles benched him for wearing a headband in a game. It's against team rules.

Typical control freak coach. Guess he forgot why he got run out of Phoenix. Tigers don't change their stripes.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

It's a team rule. It was laid out for him before he signed his humongous contract.

If he doesn't like it, take it up with the union, or sit on the bench and sulk, reminiscing to the good old days and his pal, Flip.

There's a recurring theme here, and since it's involved different coaches, I'm guessing the coaches aren't the problem.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

It's a franchise rule, not a Skiles rule.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wallace has worn a headband virtually his entire career. If the Bulls decided to try to sign him, it was equally incumbent on them to do thorough enough background checks and understand he would want to wear it.

Funny to see Skiles, the cocaine cowboy of Mid-Michigan, the Budweiser-fueled scourge of the roadways, suddenly becoming the voice of iron discipline. While we're at it, I'm getting tired of all these Negroes and their ridiculous tattoos -- why not do something about that, too??

Wallace's alleged problem with Flip Saunders was that he was too soft and laid-back. Skiles, Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle are basically junior-Hitler control freaks, and nobody gets along with them. Nobody.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wallace needs to grow the fuck up. What is he, 32, 33, 34? He's acting like he's 17.

The team's paying you $15 MILLION A YEAR. Take off the fucking headband. Put it on after the game and wear it home.

Christ, this shit is a joke.

8. This is the best post ever by Starman that didn't involve beheading someone with a lemon zester.
    Bien joue, l'etoile.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I had read that the tickets for which the fans used to enter the game had an image of Ben Wallace wearing a headband on them. If true, why would the team market something it doesn't allow?

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True story:
    I once asked Ben Wallace to sign my jersey, and he looked me in the eye and walked right by me as if I slashed his tires or something.
    True Story II:
    One of my friend's cousins(about 8 or 9 years old) named Patrick lived across from Wallace. One day, Wallace was outside playing with his remote control cars. Patrick walked up to him and asked if he could play too and Ben didn't even look up to him and continued to play with his toy.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're absolutely right Pastor, all of the preseason promotional material had Wallace wearing a headband. Guess the marketing dept. wasn't aware of the team's policy....

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You're right, Wallace is a grown man in his 30s. So why are the Bulls treating him like he's 17? Of all guys, this is the one they want to crack down on? A player who busts his ass every night? This is a stupid issue and Skiles and Paxson ought to be smart enough to drop the rule rather than try to be tough guys over something so petty.

Draft saved Draft deleted