1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't my SE know how to write?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 22, 2006.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Does your boss know how you feel?

Your boss' edit was awful, by the way. I probably would have reworked it this way: The Flyers have four goals in four games.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is solid advice. it works in all businesses, not just journalism. it's tough for sirvaliant because he's an intern (i think) but everyone should learn their boss' strengths and weaknesses and play to them. it doesn't mean you're a wuss just because instead of telling the boss all your ideas you beat around the bush and make your boss feel like all these great ideas were his in the first place.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can do even better: The Flyers suck.
    ;D

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

those who can, do. those who can't become sports editors. ;D ;D ;D

5. Hilarious/mortifying. Woke up today to find that the word "time-wisened" in my lead had become "time-widened".

Yes, widened with time...like Shawn Kemp and Ronaldo.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

You are looking for another job, right?

7. I am but an intern.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

could you possibly be referring to anyone I know? ;D

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Echo the advice of keeping an original clip.

Another way to go is to get the page it was on (through Quark or InDesign), coverting the page to a .pdf and editing the .pdf in Acrobat. I've done that for several of my clips.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"Time-wisened" to "time-widened" is a tough one...
    He/she changed the meaning, and that's a strike against the 1st Commandment of line editing.
    Now, would you like some advice?:
    Stay away from clumsy, antiquated hyphenates in your lead and you wouldn't have had a problem. ;)

11. Absolutely absolutely. I realized how stupid the word was the minute I left the newsroom. So lesson learned, thank you for the advice, and I'll take a quarter of the blame for this one...but no more than a quarter, since a clumsy and antiquated hyphenate beats a non-existent hyphenate.

12. Isn't this deceitful? The employer asks for "published clips" or "published samples of your work" and you give them something different, albeit only slightly, from what was published.

If you're transparently submitting "originals" -- sending in Word documents, for example -- I think it's cool. But to try to pass off something that's not the published version as the published version? Seems problematic.

Draft saved Draft deleted