1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why doesn't my intern know how to stfu?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Dude, as Ballscribe said, I think everybody has that fear. Some just have it more strongly than others.

2. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Agreed. Everyone in this business has, at one point, felt the fear of failure. I'm not in much of a position to offer advice, although, your (second?) reply really struck a chord with me, considering I feel practically the exact same way you do (sans the marriage part) about venturing into this profession, only I'm a recent grad, as opposed to a year away. If it means anything, I did, give up on it. Hell, I interviewed for sports marketing and advertising firms. Hell, I almost got them, and they would have been more profitable than reporting, too. The most telling fact, however, was that I didn't give a shit that I didn't get the aforementioned jobs. I was more discouraged that I didn't get podunk unpaid sportswriting internship X. In the midst of the hiring process, I still spent my oft time venturing through this site, hoping to learn more about the industry and how to not make a total jackass of myself if I ever land a gig. It seems like you feel the same way. If you apparently "love" what you do, and it seems as though you've got your head on straight and some talent, I find it hard to believe you can dismiss it that easily. This is a poor analogy, I know, but addressing your fear of failure, think about your (apparent) future wife. You seem to have your heart set on her, just think, what if you didn't have the stones to even address her. What if she shot you down? How would you feel had you never even talked to her, because of your fear of failure? Try putting sports writing into the same context.

IMHO, of course. Hope this helps.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ballscribe is 100 percent right... You should always fear failure, but it shouldn't prevent you from following your dreams...

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

OF COURSE it's ok. You just can't let it rule your life. And when you do succeed, it'll feel that much sweeter.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Rolling--If you're going to use this site as a barometer of what's good and bad about the business, and whether it's for you, please keep in mind that despite all the rants and complaints and skewering, most of the folks here are in the business because they love it. Don't be scared off by the venting, you'd find that in any business.

And anyone who is successful at anything failed a lot to get there. Failure teaches you more than success ever will.

6. rolling

rolling Member

I'm curious to know what you're doing now, 805?

I guess my biggest fear is not so much failure itself, but --with the business as it is and the "politics" that are involved-- that I won't have control over my own success or failure. I'd like to think that my ability to write, report and work my ass off will be enough to work my up, but, sometimes, I gather that that's not how it works.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's a good start, but in any biz, a lot is right time, right place. karma has lots to do with climbing the ladder. which is why those at "big" papers should never, ever treat those at smaller papers shabbily. the talent-difference ain't that great.

8. rolling

rolling Member

The talent difference between a Northwestern/Mizzou/Syracuse journalism grad isn't that great in comparison to a Podunk State grad many times, either. Doesn't mean they're not treated differently out of the gate in the job market.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

probably true. but once you hit said job market, no one gives a damn where you went to school. it's put up or shut up time.

10. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

Fucking christ -- if you're that big of a pussy, you won't hack it in the business anyway. Enjoy law school

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed, rolling. i went to a state university with a fine college paper, three times a week, but no j-school major. most of the heavy hitters in the biiz didn't go to the so-called big j-schools. it helps, no doubt. but it's just plain whiny to throw in the towel because the j-school kids get all the breaks. so not true. SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

but if you're making excuses already, maybe law school's for you. guess you'd better go to harvard law, though. :'( :'( :'(

12. JME

JME Member

He's only being realistic. Working your ass off and being good don't go as far as they used to. At least he's not under many of the illusions most recent grads are under.

Draft saved Draft deleted