1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we care so much that remakes, reboots and adaptations "get it right?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, May 20, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows me knows I have a giant man crush on Hank Steuver's writing. He's a very cool dude too, btw. Very nice to me when I introduced myself once. Anyway, Steuver is a little like Klosterman in that he likes breaking down art and culture just to deconstruct it and ask "Why do we care?"

I thought he did a nice job with this piece that's a little bit about Star Trek, but also about Twighlight, Watchmen, Harry Potter, etc.

Will the legacy of this generation be that we were so uncreative, we had to remake everything right down to the last detail, because to forge a new path would be to draw the ire of the angry fanbois who need nostalgia like they need oxygen?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/05/10/ST2009051002048.html

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Sorry, DD, but uncreatively getting it right down to the last detail is what van Sant did with Psycho. New takes on existing characters, a la Star Trek, are as old as storytelling.

Draft saved Draft deleted