1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people hate fantasy sports so much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 25, 2009.

1. We joke on here about spnited and his aversion to all things fantasy, but he's not the only one. Some people seem to truly curse their existence.

Why? Just because it's annoying to hear people talk about their fantasy teams? Or is there a belief that on some level they harm sports?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't hate them at all. I just don't participate and don't want to hear about your team. Power to you, have fun with it. I don't read or post on the threads.
    I can't answer for those who hate them so I guess I should have avoided this thread.

I do know I left the Friday Fantasy Football column out one week because we were tight as hell for space. It was either that or a local story and stupid me picked local. The phones didn't stop ringing and I caught massive shit from upstairs. Never leave out the fantasy stuff again.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Spnited just became regular and doesn't know why.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's completely uninteresting to me because it's just a bunch of random players in random games who — in most cases — aren't interacting with each other. The fantasy "coach" or owner" can do very little to affect his or her outcome other than yell at the TV screen. To me, it's just not a real competition.

In something like Pursue The Pennant or Playmaker Football the "owner" has a direct effect on the game's outcome. That's something I can make an emotional investment in. But rotisserie stuff? No. You didn't beat <i>me</i>. You got lucky because "your" player got a touchdown at the end of the Monday night football game and gave your group of unaffiliated players a "statistical win" over my group of unaffiliated players. <i>You</i> weren't calling any of those plays; therefore, you didn't beat me.

EDIT: And it's really kind of stupid the way you act like you did something when "your" "team" "defeats" somebody.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just don't have the time. I did one years ago -- when you had to take out the Monday paper to look up stats -- but haven't had the time since.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I look at them askance, much as I would a two-headed kitten.....they seem to take up A LOT of time.. and the thing that always bothered me about people who I knew that were involved in them.. they weren't per se interested in a sport, or a team or a result, but only their individual players' numbers.... but, whatever. I just ignore them.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Agree with 2mcm, but only because my team is losing this week.

It'd be fun if there was anything to do after the draft, but there usually isn't.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think they're really silly and I don't understand people talking about them ad nausem. Isn't there anything better to talk about?

That said, I won about $500 in the fantasy NFL league at work, and then promptly retired from any and all fantasy sports :D

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Three posts and 16 minutes... talk about regular

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I play fantasy sports, but can't stand listening to radio shows or reading chats, etc., about fantasy sports because all it turns into is a bunch of morans asking, "Which player should I start?" or "Do you think this is a good trade?" And the same said dipshits will turn around and bitch how shitty their local GM is.

Figure it out for yourself, genius.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I "retired" from doing fantasy sports because I had no time, the thing I liked about not having a fantasy team was the fact that I could simply cheer for my home teams and not worry about Joe Touchdown playing for the other team. I also liked being able to watch football games just for the sake of watching them instead of watching because someone has the Packers defense and I need it to allow at least 20 points for me to win the game.

I've been in a bunch of fantasy leagues with a couple of the people from here and have been in IM converations with them before. For some reason, we've never discussed our fantasy leagues or teams in IM.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I pretty much agree with Moddy and 2MCM, but I'll add this: It sickens me when fantasy dolts cheer for or against a team or player simply because of their fantasy teams. I once had a roommate who cheered when a guy got hurt because it would help his fantasy team. That's just wrong.

I understand the competition aspect, and I love a good March Madness bracket pool as much as the next guy, but I think the fantasy minutiae is overkill.

Draft saved Draft deleted