1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many people continue to pursue doctorates?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because who wouldn't want my life?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good Lord, between this and the "Wright Thompson seeks advice from me" post, it's officially Humblebrag Hour around here! :)

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have, mercifully, not been following that.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think many people pay to do a PhD, do they? Not in Canada anyway. I lived in a grad residence in school, and my impression of PhDs was that they were in love with deeply weird things—I remember one was doing his thesis on Medieval birth control—and doing a PhD gave them several years of a pretty enviable lifestyle in pursuit of that strange passion. There are worse ways to spend your twenties than being paid to become an expert in something.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If you're talking about my post, I didn't say he came to me for advice. I said we talked about his story and he said he was going to get Tiger, which would have been his way to one-up me, because he knew I didn't get him in the past.

I mean, I guess I "advised" him that he wouldn't. Good advice, turns out.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A Ph.D. in almost any engineering field is golden because you can teach or be a titan of industry, especially in petroleum.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Both of my in-laws who got their engineering Ph.D.s (big-time school) say they never made a penny more than they would have if they had stopped at their master's. But one is now in academia, so it helped there.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

LTL, yes, that's pretty much true that a masters -- or, hell, even a bachelors -- in engineering can set you up nicely. The Ph.D. is mostly for academia, although I'm sure a lot of NASA folks have them.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If the Ph.D. in German literature doesn't lead to a tenure-track gig, becoming Slate's go-to critic of higher ed is always an option.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought about going for a Ph.D. in American Literature when I was working toward a career in academics. I decided to take a year off after the master's and 20-plus years later I've never done it. I really enjoyed the master's thing though, much more than undergrad.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless typefitter is bragging about drinking Wright Thompson under the table, it's really not much of a brag.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There are jobs out there for recent grads, but you can't coast through a program or take eight years to write a dissertation, and you have to be wiling to take a job pretty much anywhere in the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted